News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2016, 10:56:02 AM
Friends don't let Martinus do analogies.

So only Jaron can stop Marti from doing analogies? :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 12:35:06 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2016, 10:56:02 AM
Friends don't let Martinus do analogies.

So only Jaron can stop Marti from doing analogies? :(

He told me that he has plenty of friends.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 12:04:44 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2016, 11:54:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 14, 2016, 11:04:05 AM
The problem that actually exists:

Middle class jobs are a relatively shrinking pool of ways that people can support their families through technology advances and globalization.

The even bigger problem that exists, and most people are at least "gut feeling" aware of:

The political class in the US no longer represents that interests of the vast majority of US citizens in any meaningful manner.
yeah, and at the same time these people are wondering that, they vote for:
- less funding to education
- tax cuts to the rich
- no subsidized healthcare
- more religion and less science
- no cap on political financing

Don't forget they also voted back in their incumbent congressmen and senators. Nothing says we want change like keeping the same lawmakers in power.

Keep in mind that a lot of surveys have shown that while people don't think the House and Senate are doing a good job, they tend to think that their own Representatives and Senators are doing a good job.  And that sentiment seems to exist in both Blue and Red districts and states.

People don't necessarily have consistent political beliefs, anyway.  For example, I helped my mom take the "I side with" quiz, and it turns out that she's strongly against gay marriage (no surprise to me there), but she thinks that gender orientation (as opposed to sexual orientation) should be added to the list of protected statuses under anti-discrimination laws.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 14, 2016, 10:52:35 AM
I don't understand why one's view on gay marriage should inform one's view on abortion. The former is about a "victimless" behaviour between consenting adults, the latter isn't.

Expecting such correlation is as idiotic as expecting a correlation between one's views on gun control and one's views about climate change.

I'm trying to figure out if you missed the point on purpose or not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Marti always wanted to have another's abortion.
Alas, ''twas not to be.

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 14, 2016, 01:11:05 PM
Keep in mind that a lot of surveys have shown that while people don't think the House and Senate are doing a good job, they tend to think that their own Representatives and Senators are doing a good job.  And that sentiment seems to exist in both Blue and Red districts and states.

Then they continue the problem they say they want fixed.

Quote from: dps on November 14, 2016, 01:11:05 PMPeople don't necessarily have consistent political beliefs, anyway.  For example, I helped my mom take the "I side with" quiz, and it turns out that she's strongly against gay marriage (no surprise to me there), but she thinks that gender orientation (as opposed to sexual orientation) should be added to the list of protected statuses under anti-discrimination laws.

This isn't really about consistent belief though. It is about voting in the same folk to continue the very problems that they decry. Being complicit in the status quo, really.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 01:48:30 PM

I don't disagree, but if they think that their own elected representatives are going a good job, and the problem is the people sent to Congress by other states, why should they vote out their own representatives?

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 14, 2016, 02:31:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 01:48:30 PM

I don't disagree, but if they think that their own elected representatives are going a good job, and the problem is the people sent to Congress by other states, why should they vote out their own representatives?

Why do they think their representatives are doing a great job if they aren't actually helping to deliver change? If you keep electing the same person and always end up with the same result...

Phillip V

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Love Rudy but he just seems to goofy for the role.  I'd go with the dude with the pushbroom stache.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Hamilcar

I get why Giuliani would take the gig, but why would an (apparently) serious politician like Bolton take a job in the Trump admin? Is he hoping to be a stabilizing effect on Trump?

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 14, 2016, 04:19:17 PM
I get why Giuliani would take the gig, but why would an (apparently) serious politician like Bolton take a job in the Trump admin? Is he hoping to be a stabilizing effect on Trump?

Secretary of State is probably one of the top 5, or at a minimum, top 10 most powerful people in DC.  There are plenty of reasons why someone would want that job at almost any cost.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 14, 2016, 04:19:17 PM

Being in is always better than being on the outside, and holding a leadership position provides one with all sorts of opportunities to influence things.

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Minsky Moment

Bolton is King of the neocons.  It's an odd choice given Trump's own stated positions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson