News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2016, 04:40:24 PM
Bolton is King of the neocons.  It's an odd choice given Trump's own stated positions.

Clutching at straws?

Or maybe grasping the nettle?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 14, 2016, 04:17:36 PM
Love Rudy but he just seems to goofy for the role.  I'd go with the dude with the pushbroom stache.

I am really surprised that Rudy couldn't get US AG if he really wanted it. SoS is in the ultimate inner circle, but still--it's his thing, and it's not like he wouldn't be in the loop anyway.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2016, 04:44:15 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2016, 04:40:24 PM
Bolton is King of the neocons.  It's an odd choice given Trump's own stated positions.

Clutching at straws?

Or maybe grasping the nettle?

It's entirely possible that Trump has no idea who Bolton is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

SoS has mega visibility, status, and prestige, but not that much actual power and ability to drive policy.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2016, 04:55:45 PM
SoS has mega visibility, status, and prestige, but not that much actual power and ability to drive policy.

Look at Guiliani.  Do you think he's after "power and driving policy", or "visibility, status and prestige"? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2016, 04:55:45 PM

Kissinger is the outlier to your argument and John Foster Dulles a good example of power wielded in partnership with the President.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Hamilcar

I hope nobody tells Trump to google "unitary executive theory".

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2016, 04:51:23 PM
It's entirely possible that Trump has no idea who Bolton is.

Pretty sure he thinks he hired him to sing in Las Vegas.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on November 14, 2016, 05:00:31 PM
Kissinger is the outlier to your argument and John Foster Dulles a good example of power wielded in partnership with the President.

Definitely agree about Kissinger, don't know enough about Dulles to comment.

But Kissinger was powerful because of his ability to imagine revolutionary geopolitical strategies, and had a president that was willing to defer and delegate to him.  I don't see that ever being repeated.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2016, 05:13:15 PM
Definitely agree about Kissinger, don't know enough about Dulles to comment.

Curious, what was your major at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government: Classical Guitar or Rock Guitar?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2016, 05:32:20 PM
Curious, what was your major at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government: Classical Guitar or Rock Guitar?

KSG is an MBA type program with a smattering of theory and heavy on the case study and workshop stuff.  It's not a Masters in the history of US government.

So rock guitar I guess.

CountDeMoney

Btw, Go hit today's Atlantic on how this election was a nail in the coffin of Political Science and its bullshit reliNce on predictive modeling and statistical analysis.

Been saying that for years.  And not just because I hate math, either.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2016, 05:41:59 PM
Btw, Go hit today's Atlantic on how this election was a nail in the coffin of Political Science and its bullshit reliNce on predictive modeling and statistical analysis.

Been saying that for years.  And not just because I hate math, either.

I remember how my old PoliSci prof used to tell us how Political Science would be just as sciencey as the real sciences in a few years based upon that statistics & prediction stuff, and how case studies went out with powdered wigs.  I remembered that for the test, but never really bought it.  Same for about half the stuff I studied in my PoliSci classes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Hamilcar

Things that aren't science shouldn't add "science" to the name for marketing purposes. Also looking at you, social "sciences".

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 14, 2016, 05:48:10 PM
Things that aren't science shouldn't add "science" to the name for marketing purposes. Also looking at you, social "sciences".

So you can't scientifically explore human behavior?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.