And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2016, 05:49:58 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 14, 2016, 05:48:10 PM
Things that aren't science shouldn't add "science" to the name for marketing purposes. Also looking at you, social "sciences".

So you can't scientifically explore human behavior?

Shush, you.  You are going to set him off again on "the regressive left" and "kids these days".
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 14, 2016, 06:00:26 PM
Things that aren't science shouldn't add "science" to the name for marketing purposes. Also looking at you, social "sciences".

Shush, you.  You are going to set him off again on "the regressive left" and "kids these days".

True, he did make that awfully convincing demonstration of eating crow today. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

So, looks like Languish might get one of their long term foreign policy wishes? Should have hesitated before wishing on that monkey's paw. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/14/trump_is_seriously_considering_john_bolton_for_secretary_of_state.html

Trump Considering John "Bomb Iran" Bolton for Secretary of State

By Joshua Keating

John Bolton speaks during the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Oxon Hill, Maryland, on March 3.

Those trying to talk themselves out of despair about the incoming Trump administration may have attached themselves to the idea that at least his isolationist rhetoric means he will avoid unnecessary wars and imperial overreach. On that front, this is not promising:

A permahawk with a reputation for bullying subordinates who disagree with his views, John Bolton was the most controversial U.S. ambassador to the United Nations—an organization he openly disdained—ever. President George W. Bush had to use a recess appointment to get him the job after Senate Democrats, and a few Republicans, refused to vote on his nomination. Perhaps because of his famous penchant for belittling and attacking those who don't nod approvingly at his opinions and positions, even he concedes that the United States accomplished "little or nothing" of what the Bush administration wanted while he was ambassador.

So what would a Secretary of State Bolton believe? Bolton not only opposes the nuclear agreement with Iran, but he has consistently advocated war to stop the country's nuclear program. In stark contrast to the president-elect, he has argued in favor of regime change in Syria. Has was a prominent advocate of the Iraq war and continues to defend the invasion to this day.

To his credit, Bolton sticks to his guns, even in the face of available evidence. In my previous job at Foreign Policy, I used to compile an annual "worst predictions" list, and would include Bolton year after year for his repeated assurances that an Israeli airstrike on Iran was just weeks away. I'll leave it to readers to assess whether or not this trait is preferable to the more ideologically promiscuous Newt Gingrich.

But Bolton is still an odd choice for a president who notably touted his opposition to the Iraq war and skepticism about foreign entanglements as selling points. Given how susceptible Trump is, it seems likelier that Bolton will influence his boss than the other way around. Then again, consider the Economist's assessment, after reading his techy and combative memoir, that "for all his bluster, Mr. Bolton seems curiously insecure."

The relationship between these two is starting to make a bit more sense.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Maybe it'll be no worse than this vision of the future:

'The Rock' talks a future in politics, including potential White House run reut.rs/2faFQje pic.twitter.com/ay58Fv1yav

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/798308300215357440?p=v
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 14, 2016, 06:43:23 PM
So, looks like Languish might get one of their long term foreign policy wishes?

Maybe back in 2002.  Not now.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2016, 07:59:13 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 14, 2016, 06:43:23 PM
So, looks like Languish might get one of their long term foreign policy wishes?

Maybe back in 2002.  Not now.

That's Breaking News from Timmay.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

One thing I've learned from watching a few episodes of Ballers is that Dwayne Johnson is crap at talking a jive.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

yes, you can.
The problem is, many of these studies don't adher to scientific principles.  Psychology is a very good example.  The near totality of the studies published can't be reproduced through neutral experimentations.

Because Oex will challenge my assertions and claim I heard this on some radio show I never listen to ;) :

Fouille dans le blog de Jean-François Cliche, chroniqueur scientifique de La Presse.  Il y a quelques rapports spécifiquement sur ça.  Prends le temps aussi de lire les études sur la vérité dans les médias, c.a. il y a 2 ans, peut-être 3.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

At least with John Bolton as SoS, he can't insult and offend the entire world like he did at the UN;  he can do it up close and personal on a one-to-one basis. Much more specialer that way.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2016, 08:16:27 PM
At least with John Bolton as SoS, he can't insult and offend the entire world like he did at the UN;  he can do it up close and personal on a one-to-one basis. Much more specialer that way.

I don't remember anything about Bolton except he said North Korea were a bunch of cheating maniacs, but if you say it must be true.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2016, 08:02:47 PM
One thing I've learned from watching a few episodes of Ballers is that Dwayne Johnson is crap at talking a jive.

He is from California afterall.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2016, 08:22:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2016, 08:16:27 PM

I don't remember anything about Bolton except he said North Korea were a bunch of cheating maniacs, but if you say it must be true.

He's a very unpleasant person.

Admiral Yi