News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2016, 09:47:39 PM
In the course of Snowdon's revelations it is already clear that they conduct industrial espionage now.

I'm pretty sure we've been conducting industrial espionage since, well, the Industrial Age began.  :yeah:

Syt

Among his protectionist plans, what does Trump plan to do to keep prices for consumer products from spiking?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2016, 12:46:28 AM
Among his protectionist plans, what does Trump plan to do to keep prices for consumer products from spiking?

35% tariffs on Mexico, and a 45% tariff on China. :yeah: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain #VisitColonialWilliamsburg

jimmy olsen

I'm surprised there were enough Christie loyalists for this headline to make sense.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-transition-shake-part-stalinesque-purge-christie-loyalists-n684081
QuoteTrump Transition Shake-Up Part of 'Stalinesque Purge' of Christie Loyalists

by Ken Dilanian and Alexandra Jaffe

The Donald Trump transition, already off to slow start, bogged down further Tuesday with the abrupt resignation of former Congressman Mike Rogers, who had been coordinating its national security efforts.

Two sources close to Rogers said he had been the victim of what one called a "Stalinesque purge," from the transition of people close to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who left Friday. It was unclear which other aides close to Christie had also been forced out.

The Trump transition did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Rogers confirmed his exit in a statement that said that, despite his departure, he planned to continue to "provide advice and counsel as needed to the incoming Trump administration."

He and his top aide had been working for months, preparing the groundwork for transition. Two sources close to the situation described an atmosphere of sniping and backbiting as Trump loyalists position themselves for key jobs.

"It was a privilege to prepare and advise the policy, personnel and agency action teams on all aspects of the national security portfolio during the initial pre-election planning phase. Our work will provide a strong foundation for the new transition team leadership as they move into the post-election phase, which naturally is incorporating the campaign team in New York who drove President-elect Trump to an incredible victory last Tuesday," Rogers said in the statement.

 Rogers was initially seen as a leading candidate for CIA director, but now is likely off the list, a source told NBC News. Rep. Devin Nunes, the Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, is now a top contender.

Rogers' departure follows Christie's demotion from head of the team to a vice-chair, with Vice President-elect Mike Pence taking over for him last week.

The purge indicates the emphasis on loyalty — and significant influence of Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner, husband of Ivanka — that characterized Trump's campaign will carry over into his White House.

Multiple sources indicated that Christie was demoted because he wasn't seen as sufficiently loyal to Trump, failing to vocally defend him at key moments on the campaign trail.

But he has long been in a precarious position with Trump, due in part, multiple sources say, to a longstanding grudge sparked when Christie prosecuted Kushner's father in 2004. Due to Christie's investigation, Charles Kushner eventually pleaded guilty to 18 felony counts, including tax fraud and witness tampering, and was sentenced to two years in federal prison.

Rogers' exit and Christie's demotion are the latest wrinkles in a transition process that's gotten off to a rocky start following Trump's unexpected election victory last week.

The Trump transition has yet to take up offices in the State Department or the Pentagon, government officials tell NBC News, and as of last night Trump had not received an intelligence briefing.

The vice president-elect, Mike Pence took over the transition Friday after Christie's sudden resignation.

But since Christie had signed the legal paperwork, not Pence, the transition hit a bureaucratic snag, a transition aide said.

Trump over the weekend named RNC Chair Reince Priebus his chief of staff and Breitbart Founder Steve Bannon chief strategist, earning plaudits with the first but backlash over the former, because of Bannon's controversial comments on minorities and Breitbart's often incendiary reporting, among other issues.

In a separate development, Eliot Cohen, a senior State Department official under George W. Bush who blasted Trump during the campaign, ripped into the president-elect's transition effort Tuesday.

Eliot A Cohen  ‎@EliotACohen 

After exchange w Trump transition team, changed my recommendation: stay away. They're angry, arrogant, screaming "you LOST!" Will be ugly.

10:07 PM - 15 Nov 2016

Cohen, one of 122 Republican national security figures who signed an open letter last spring opposing Trump's candidacy, had written an essay last week in which he suggested that military and intelligence officials "continue to do their jobs."

But on Tuesday, he tweeted, "After exchange w Trump transition team, changed my recommendation: stay away. They're angry, arrogant, screaming 'you LOST!' Will be ugly."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Stalinesque Purge. What a fucking joke. No beatings, interogations, torture and then shot. The news media in general is shit out of control.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Trump's plan increasingly seems to be:

1. Win presidential election
2. ???
3. Profit! (bigly!)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

I was wondering if the Bobby Kennedy rule was a law, looked it up, turns out it's not.

The Minsky Moment

There might have been some other reason Christie might have gotten sidelined other than "loyalty" or Charlie Kushner ...
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

So Carson says he wants no cabinet post, but the explanation is a bit odd for someone who wanted to be president:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/ben-carson-declines-cabinet-position-donald-trump/

QuoteWilliams [Carson's confidant] told The Hill newspaper, "Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

The campaign was enough pressure, perhaps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

He's probably forgotten he ever ran for prez.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2016, 06:26:51 AM
So Carson says he wants no cabinet post, but the explanation is a bit odd for someone who wanted to be president:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/ben-carson-declines-cabinet-position-donald-trump/

QuoteWilliams [Carson's confidant] told The Hill newspaper, "Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

It makes obvious that he never expected to win the Republican nom.

FunkMonk

All he wanted to do was sell books. Why can't people just leave him alone?  :cry: :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Trump ditches press pool, goes out to dinner.

Press shits itself.

Ed laughs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 16, 2016, 09:27:43 AM
Trump ditches press pool, goes out to dinner.

Press shits itself.

Ed laughs.

It's all fun and games until they can't find him.