News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

QuoteBill and Hillary Clinton have decided to attend the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States, according to two sources with knowledge of their plans.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/bill-and-hillary-clinton-will-attend-the-trump-inauguration.html?mid=twitter_nymag

Conan! What is best in life?  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Instead of a typical inaugural speech Trump will go on a Saddam Hussein/Stalinesque diatribe, listing his many enemies and brow beating them from the podium until they're openly weeping and finally sent walking down Pennsylvania Avenue toward the execution pits.

Sad days ahead  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

MadImmortalMan

If I were Bill I'd be shopping for a rural ranch somewhere in Arkansas at this point.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2017, 02:56:34 PM
If I were Bill I'd be shopping for a rural ranch somewhere in Arkansas at this point.

Hey! He has a charity foundation to run.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on January 03, 2017, 01:22:21 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/business/ford-general-motors-trump.html?_r=0

QuoteFord, Criticized by Trump, Cancels Plans to Build Mexican Plant

Ford Motor said on Tuesday that it was canceling plans to build a $1.6 billion plant in Mexico and would instead invest $700 million to increase production in Michigan.

#trumpeffect

"We are encouraged by the pro-growth policies that President-elect Trump and the new Congress have indicated they will pursue," Mr. Fields said. "And we believe that these tax and regulatory reforms are critically important to boost U.S. competitiveness, and, of course, drive a resurgence in American manufacturing and high-tech innovation."

I just wonder how much this is gonna cost the US treasury.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 01:24:42 PM
They help America and save $900 million.

Not only that.  They will be making electric and hybrid cars/trucks.  So-- GREEN JOBS :punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 03, 2017, 03:14:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 01:24:42 PM
They help America and save $900 million.

Not only that.  They will be making electric and hybrid cars/trucks.  So-- GREEN JOBS :punk:

Thanks Obam...oh wait.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 03, 2017, 03:02:27 PM
I just wonder how much this is gonna cost the US treasury.

Deficits don't matter. Thus spake Cheney.

I never knew it was possible to have a 19 trillion dollar debt with no inflation. I clearly know jack shit about economics.

The Minsky Moment

The Ford story demonstrates that corporate America has already caught on to the new way of things and has already mastered the theater of putting on an elaborate show while in reality nothing is happening.

Ford was under fire for moving small car production to Mexico.  After this announcement, they are still moving their small car production to Mexico.  Only now they will do it by expanding their existing facility instead of building a new one that would attract more criticism.

At the same time they are announcing expansion of the Flat Rock plant to produce the new F-150 hybrid.  But the decision to build the hybrid was made (and reported) months ago.  Since all F-150 production is already in the US, it is very unlikely this would have gone to Mexico.  Some US plant was always going to get this - I suppose the only surprise here is that it is Flat Rock instead of Dearborn.  Probably b/c they are also doing a hybrid Mustang (?!) and Flat Rock builds Mustangs.

So basically the announcement was made in such a way to give the impression that Ford was moving production from Mexico to the US.  Whereas in reality there are doing the opposite - moving production from the US to Mexico as always planned, just a different place in Mexico.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 02, 2017, 11:30:53 PM
With No Warning, House Republicans Vote to Hobble Independent Ethics Office

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/us/politics/with-no-warning-house-republicans-vote-to-hobble-independent-ethics-office.html

Sounds like the Republicans chickened out after the internet freaked out. Hail to the mob.

The good news--President-Elect Trump was opposed to gutting the ethics office.

The bad news--Congressional Republicans caved so easily and quickly to Trump that it does cast into doubt how likely they might be to stand up to him on things he's on the wrong side of.

Valmy

Stupid fake news. Let's avoid future articles from that rag Spicey quoted.

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2017, 03:23:29 PM
The Ford story demonstrates that corporate America has already caught on to the new way of things and has already mastered the theater of putting on an elaborate show while in reality nothing is happening.

so, if nothing bad actually happens, then

trump: 1, liberals: 0

?

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on January 03, 2017, 03:49:29 PM

?

I reckon Trump is up by more than 1-0.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on January 03, 2017, 03:49:29 PM

?

Oh yes absolutely.
The sun rises, he takes credit. And the corporate nabobs are smart enough to realize they can get away with just about anything as long as they play along and not point out the emperor's sartorial shortcomings.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson