News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Presidents can't do much*.  Not sure what it'll take for people to finally realize that. :hmm:

* Thank Hod.  :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on November 10, 2016, 10:24:25 AM
Well, deep in my heart, I believed that at the end, Americans will do the right thing, and make us go "whew, that was close, let's all agree to not play with this dangerous shit again".

Hmm, didn't you guys just elect Charles Lindbergh.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on November 10, 2016, 10:09:47 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 08:50:49 AM
Then I think they are confused on the outcome. I think the left leaning populace isn't going to be shamed into silence by this. We'll only get louder - particularly now that the gov't is opposed to us.
Sanders has already announced he's willing to work with Trump.  People like him, from the hard left, they need things to go bad if they want to survive.  When the extreme left and the extreme right agree on something, it's usually very bad for the population.

The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact worked out great for the signatories (for a while at least.)

;)

The Bern and the Donald share a common outlook in terms of trade and outsourcing.  The most logical thing for Trump to do would be to pursue a protectionist agenda right off the bat in order to build a bridge to the left.  (Yes, I realize Trump doesn't usually follow the most logical path.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2016, 06:58:29 AM
I don't think they care they're going to lose their FY17 and FY18 budgets and get absolutely nothing accomplished; they're just happy that, maybe, just maybe, people will finally shut the fuck up about the niggers and gays and women and the mud ducks and slopes already and all that annoying diversity stuff.

That train has left the station big time.  Most big companies are making it a big priority.  Diversity is top of agenda at professional firms for the same reasons.  Those that neglect it lose business.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2016, 10:38:34 AM
Presidents can't do much*.  Not sure what it'll take for people to finally realize that. :hmm:

Presidents can do quite a bit, most of it shouldn't be done except in particular situations.  We'll see what happens with Donald.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2016, 10:38:34 AM

Incorrect.  Now is definitely the time to panic, riot, etc.  THEYRE COMING FOR YOU
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2016, 10:56:15 AM

Incorrect.  Now is definitely the time to panic, riot, etc.  THEYRE COMING FOR YOU

THE GUBMINT IS GOING TO TAKE MY...um...

Er...

Help me out here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 11:00:30 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2016, 10:56:15 AM

THE GUBMINT IS GOING TO TAKE MY...um...

Er...

Help me out here.

Gay marriage, helfcare, lattes, contraception, tattoos, piercings, bike lanes, and so on.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2016, 11:05:01 AM
Gay marriage, helfcare, lattes, contraception, tattoos, piercings, bike lanes, and so on.

THE GUBMINT IS GOING TO TAKE MAH HELFCAIH!1!!

I like it. Stupid in the same vein as keeping the hands of the government off my Medicare.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 11:06:03 AM
THE GUBMINT IS GOING TO TAKE MAH HELFCAIH!1!!

I like it. Stupid in the same vein as keeping the hands of the government off my Medicare.
My girlfriend, who is self employed, utilizes Obamacare.  She is very upset and afraid she'll lose it now.

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 10, 2016, 10:44:48 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2016, 06:58:29 AM
I don't think they care they're going to lose their FY17 and FY18 budgets and get absolutely nothing accomplished; they're just happy that, maybe, just maybe, people will finally shut the fuck up about the niggers and gays and women and the mud ducks and slopes already and all that annoying diversity stuff.

That train has left the station big time.  Most big companies are making it a big priority.  Diversity is top of agenda at professional firms for the same reasons.  Those that neglect it lose business.

Oh, I know:  it was a foundational premise at Shareholder Value; but while it was merely whispered against there, this is the federal government I'm talking about.

Caliga

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2016, 11:08:14 AMMy girlfriend, who is self employed, utilizes Obamacare.  She is very upset and afraid she'll lose it now.

I have non-ACA health insurance and frankly I am getting super pissed off about how shitty insurance of all kinds is getting. They keep slashing coverages and raising deductibles and shit while still increasing premiums. With all the fucking endorsements they put on my home owners insurance the last couple years I have no idea what they even fucking DO cover anymore. A fire that I can prove was not caused by the house (like faulty wiring or something) is about it. Money well spent. Fuck that industry.

Sorry that was an unrelated rant :P

Minsky and Fate had some interesting things to say about that.

CountDeMoney

Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums, not paying out claims.  I mean, duh.