And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 09:07:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2016, 08:50:49 AM
Then I think they are confused on the outcome. I think the left leaning populace isn't going to be shamed into silence by this. We'll only get louder - particularly now that the gov't is opposed to us.

Frankly the whole things is incredibly galvanizing and vindicating to the radicals who insist America is a mysogynistic, racist, xenophobic, bigoted, etc... society. They all get their moment to say 'I told you so!' and swell their ranks.

It's more like Americans just turn out to be pretty much the same sort of cross section as other peoples in the world.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 10, 2016, 08:20:27 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2016, 08:25:06 PM
I believe that all 50 of the US states produce their own wine. One day I would like to fly over, hire or buy a nice RV, and tour the USA sampling those wines and engaging random citizens in conversation about the wine.

Alaska wine? Even England is a better land for growing wine. :hmm:

You think something like freezing temperatures will stop American grit and determination? Never!

http://www.bearcreekwinery.com/
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on November 10, 2016, 09:10:35 AM
Then I think they are confused on the outcome. I think the left leaning populace isn't going to be shamed into silence by this. We'll only get louder - particularly now that the gov't is opposed to us.

Frankly the whole things is incredibly galvanizing and vindicating to the radicals who insist America is a mysogynistic, racist, xenophobic, bigoted, etc... society. They all get their moment to say 'I told you so!' and swell their ranks.

It's more like Americans just turn out to be pretty much that same sort of cross section as other peoples in the world.

Yeah, this pretty much sinks any credibly claim to the myth of American exceptionalism.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2016, 09:22:53 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 10, 2016, 09:10:35 AM

It's more like Americans just turn out to be pretty much that same sort of cross section as other peoples in the world.

Yeah, this pretty much sinks any credibly claim to the myth of American exceptionalism.

If it is any consolation, the prevailing non-American preconception about Americans has already been a nation of obese illiterates. :P

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on November 10, 2016, 09:02:39 AM

But being load After the event is very effective

Being loaded after the event was a pretty normal, understandable reaction, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Indeed. That's the takeaway I'm trying to avoid, as I know it isn't true for most people, but yeah after an outcome like this, only going to further draw that division line.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Sanders has already announced he's willing to work with Trump.  People like him, from the hard left, they need things to go bad if they want to survive.  When the extreme left and the extreme right agree on something, it's usually very bad for the population.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Many of the Democrats have said so. But then John McCain did something similar and somehow he didn't work closely with Obama the past eight years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 09:11:19 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 10, 2016, 08:20:27 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2016, 08:25:06 PM
I believe that all 50 of the US states produce their own wine. One day I would like to fly over, hire or buy a nice RV, and tour the USA sampling those wines and engaging random citizens in conversation about the wine.

Alaska wine? Even England is a better land for growing wine. :hmm:

You think something like freezing temperatures will stop American grit and determination? Never!

http://www.bearcreekwinery.com/

USA! USA!

Probably not comparable to a fine Bordeaux mind you  ;)

Caliga

I hope nobody here was ever dumb enough to believe in that nonsense.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Well, deep in my heart, I believed that at the end, Americans will do the right thing, and make us go "whew, that was close, let's all agree to not play with this dangerous shit again".

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2016, 10:15:46 AM
I hope nobody here was ever dumb enough to believe in that nonsense.

I think I did back in the day. The 2000 election was, for some reason, deeply traumatic for me. I guess I had always read about the machine politics of the 19th century as if somehow those times had somehow been cured by Teddy Roosevelt or something. Then I saw how the machines took down Bradley and McCain and suddenly realized 'holy shit this country is just as corrupt as everywhere else' and voted 3rd party for the only time in my life. Ah the idealism and cynical crash of youth.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 10:27:02 AM
I think I did back in the day. The 2000 election was, for some reason, deeply traumatic for me. I guess I had always read about the machine politics of the 19th century as if somehow those times had somehow been cured by Teddy Roosevelt or something. Then I saw how the machines took down Bradley and McCain and suddenly realized 'holy shit this country is just as corrupt as everywhere else' and voted 3rd party for the only time in my life. Ah the idealism and cynical crash of youth.

I think I came to grips with the cynicism in junior high.  Weird thing for me was going to bed election night not knowing who the president would be.  Then waking up with it still not being decided.  Then going to Argentina for our wedding, staying a couple weeks, and coming back with things still not being decided.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 10:27:02 AM
I think I did back in the day.
The idealism of youth is easily understandable and forgiven. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: Martinus on November 10, 2016, 06:53:46 AM
Hey, did you not get hope and change from a young President 8 years ago? This time it will be even more change!

We elected presidents who were going to change Washington in 1976, 1980, 1992, 2000 and 2008.  Somehow Washington always stays the same.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock