News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Washington is a magical place where nutcases go to be tamed by the system.

Besides that Trump is a charlatan.

But even if he is Mussolini come again, not much I can do about that just yet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on November 10, 2016, 02:48:56 PM
Interesting that a few here are so rapidly normalising the situation, given what they and others have said on here in the last 48 hours about a Trump presidency.

Remember he's laid in plain sight his personality over the last 18 months, can anyone be in much doubt that he's a supreme egoist, who the American electorate have handed powerful tools to shape the country and cause chaos in the world if he so wishes. 

I'd go so far as to say that his administration will evolve into a proto-fascist regime, at some point a minority, perhaps one already targeted in this campaign will be scapegoated as a cause for the inevitable failure of this or that Trump policy. And they'll be much else that is arbitrary or vindictive in terms of domestic policy and when dealing with foreign states.

No doubt he'll make most of the correct sounds about moderating his policies over the next two months, wear some rather snazzy suits and display surprising good political table manner as the reins of power are handed over, but come January there's going to be a rather brief honeymoon before the bride discovers the full range of his wilfulness and abusive behaviour.

I hope your lawyers are good enough to utilise the laws to their fullest to help protect American citizens from this special overlord, because one or two of you are beginning to sound like lobsters accepting their fate in the kitchen of a Trump towers property. You'll find the decor, whilst not to your taste at least distracting enough for you to forget the gradually rising temperature.

:yes: The sky is falling.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on November 10, 2016, 02:48:56 PM
Interesting that a few here are so rapidly normalising the situation, given what they and others have said on here in the last 48 hours about a Trump presidency.

Remember he's laid in plain sight his personality over the last 18 months, can anyone be in much doubt that he's a supreme egoist, who the American electorate have handed powerful tools to shape the country and cause chaos in the world if he so wishes. 

I'd go so far as to say that his administration will evolve into a proto-fascist regime, at some point a minority, perhaps one already targeted in this campaign will be scapegoated as a cause for the inevitable failure of this or that Trump policy. And they'll be much else that is arbitrary or vindictive in terms of domestic policy and when dealing with foreign states.

No doubt he'll make most of the correct sounds about moderating his policies over the next two months, wear some rather snazzy suits and display surprising good political table manner as the reins of power are handed over, but come January there's going to be a rather brief honeymoon before the bride discovers the full range of his wilfulness and abusive behaviour.

I hope your lawyers are good enough to utilise the laws to their fullest to help protect American citizens from this special overlord, because one or two of you are beginning to sound like lobsters accepting their fate in the kitchen of a Trump towers property. You'll find the decor, whilst not to your taste at least distracting enough for you to forget the gradually rising temperature.

All we can do is wait and see.

There's some small reasons for 'optimism'.  There has been much sturm und drang about most presidents being elected - I remember similar sentiments being expressed about Obama, Bush 43, Clinton... but in hindsight none where anywhere near as bad as their opponents thought they would be.  There's the belief that since Trump is such a liar and hypocrite he probably didn't mean anything he said he was going to do anyways.  And finally, that many, many Mr. Smith's have gone to Washington and nothing has ever changed, so why would this time be any different.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

Look at him - he can't even look Obama in the eyes.   :thumbsdown:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

CountDeMoney

I think their normalization is based in part by rationalizing the unexplainable.

This is the most dangerous man we've ever elected to the office.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

It will take some time to get used to the trains to the camps going west instead of east. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on November 10, 2016, 02:55:52 PM
Look at him - he can't even look Obama in the eyes.   :thumbsdown:
G.
I thought you'd like him?  Finally, a politician, with the backing of his party, who promises to take care of the muslim problem!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2016, 02:57:27 PM
I think their normalization is based in part by rationalizing the unexplainable.

Indeed.

And some echoes of the early 1930s.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

If so, it is on his supporters' heads then. It is not like nobody warned them.

Admiral Yi

I don't get your point mongers.  He is the legally elected president.  If we're going to start an armed insurrection, it would make sense to wait until he actually tries to do something illegal.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2016, 03:13:11 PM

If so, it is on his supporters' heads then. It is not like nobody warned them.

But you're one of the guys trying to normalising, no good solely blaming those who voted for him, you and your family will also now have to endure his rule. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"