News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

My President thinks the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan because of terrorists and that they were right to invade.

:Embarrass:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/423512-ocasio-cortez-khanna-to-oppose-pelosi-backed-rules-package

QuoteOcasio-Cortez, Khanna to oppose Pelosi-backed rules package

Top progressive lawmakers Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) and Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said this week they will vote against bylaws to govern the 116th Congress, a challenge to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), the likely next Speaker.

They are objecting to the inclusion of what's known as a pay-as-you-go budgetary rule, which requires that legislation be deficit neutral, meaning any costs would need to be offset with new revenue or cuts elsewhere.

But the two failed to convince other progressives in Congress to vote against the package, a good early sign for Pelosi, who will have to work to keep an ideologically fractured caucus together.

Republicans such as outgoing speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and his predecessor John Boehner (R-Ohio) faced constant challenges from the right flank of their party. That dynamic ultimately ended Boehner's speakership, a fate Pelosi hopes to avoid.

House Democratic leaders adopted pay-go rules the last time they were in power, and Pelosi and incoming House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) indicated months ago that they planned to adopt pay-go rules again if Democrats won control of the House in the midterm elections.

Budget watchers say pay-go is an important budget tool for keeping the federal deficit in check, but Khanna and Ocasio-Cortez railed against it.

"It is terrible economics. The austerians were wrong about the Great Recession and Great Depression. At some point, politicians need to learn from mistakes and read economic history," Khanna tweeted on Wednesday.

Khanna said he's not whipping on the rules package but thinks that a few other members share his opinion. He said many members want pay-go to be eliminated from the rules package so that they are not put in a difficult position.

Ocasio-Cortez echoed previous criticism among progressives that the rule is "a dark political maneuver designed to hamstring progress on healthcare+other leg."

Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill shot back, arguing pay-go would be an improvement from current GOP rules, which he called "CUTGO," that prohibit tax increases from being used to pay for legislation.

Without a pay-go rule in the House, he said, the White House budget office would be required by law to offset deficits from new legislation by cutting certain mandatory spending, such as Medicare.

"We must replace CUTGO to allow Democrats to designate appropriate offsets (including revenue increases). A vote AGAINST the Democratic Rules package is a vote to let Mick Mulvaney make across the board cuts, unilaterally reversing Democratic initiatives and funding increases," he wrote, referencing the director of the White House Office of Management and Budget.

The pay-go rule would not block deficit-producing legislation from going forward, but it would create a legislative roadblock.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Yeah if you want more spending you need to raise taxes. New revenue or more efficient collection.

Hell just keeping spending at its current level requires that. Glad to see Pelosi taking a stand here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2019, 12:03:27 PM
Damn austerians!

I'm still waiting on the Austerian-Hungry Umpire to start back up under the Hasbros.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 03, 2019, 09:21:34 AM
My President thinks the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan because of terrorists and that they were right to invade.

It is pretty embarrassing that like literally every person on this forum is way more qualified to be POTUS than Trump is...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2019, 01:42:03 PM

It is pretty embarrassing that like literally every person on this forum is way more qualified to be POTUS than Trump is...

Not Tim.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2019, 01:42:03 PM

The sad thing is that is not actually true.

Each and every one of us might be smarter and harder working than Trump, but I doubt any of us would be able to maintain even 40% approval ratings in office.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2019, 01:52:05 PM
The sad thing is that is not actually true.

Each and every one of us might be smarter and harder working than Trump, but I doubt any of us would be able to maintain even 40% approval ratings in office.

Being better qualified for the job doesn't mean you are more likely to be elected to it.

PJL

As long as Trump doesn't get less than -25% net approval ratings, he'll get re-elected. He only needs to appeal to the 40% that his base represents to do this.

grumbler

QuoteKhanna said he's not whipping on the rules package but thinks that a few other members share his opinion. He said many members want pay-go to be eliminated from the rules package so that they are not put in a difficult position.

Nothing funnier than whiny politicians.  "We don't want to be put in difficult positions and make difficult choices.  We want to avoid the consequences of our actions until the next person is elected and we are safely retired."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PJL on January 03, 2019, 02:13:03 PM
As long as Trump doesn't get less than -25% net approval ratings, he'll get re-elected. He only needs to appeal to the 40% that his base represents to do this.

I don't think it is possible to have 40% approval and -25% net approval at the same time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points