News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Does that take into account seasonal employment?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 04, 2019, 10:32:09 AM
I think BLS always reports seasonally adjusted numbers.  It would be bad practice not to do that.

The Minsky Moment

The fed rate hike looks a little more justifiable now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/01/03/pelosi-ocasio-cortez-congress-223690

QuotePelosi 2, Ocasio-Cortez 0
On Day One, the new speaker has already shown progressives who's in charge of the new House

Nancy Pelosi "cannot be seen by her party as being weak on negotiating with Donald Trump," says President Donald Trump's acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney. And "Nancy Pelosi is only looking to protect her speakership ... and that's why she's unwilling to negotiate with us," according to White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. These were excuses by the Trump administration to shift blame for the government shutdown. But they also were intended to suggest that Pelosi's hold on the speaker's gavel is tenuous, buffeted by a left-wing insurgency led by ambitious, impatient newcomers like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

The reality is that Pelosi grabbed the gavel on Thursday with a firm grip. The first two battles led by Ocasio-Cortez and her Instagramming army of rebels ran smack into Pelosi's establishment fortress. When Ocasio-Cortez made waves by loudly demanding a new committee tasked with drafting a "Green New Deal," Pelosi quietly brushed it aside last week, as if to say: Kids, brush up on your Schoolhouse Rock. Then after a meek surrender, Ocasio-Cortez, along with Rep. Ro Khanna, hastily tried to derail restoration of the so-called pay-as-you-go rule or "PAYGO"—a limitation on new spending without offsets that some on the left see as a threat to their big-ticket agenda—only to watch the chairs of the Congressional Progressive Caucus side with Pelosi and nip the rebellion in the bud.

The Green New Deal gambit is the more significant flop. Ocasio-Cortez led a campaign for a turbocharged climate change committee that would be required to produce a bill zeroing out fossil fuels in 10 years, along with a federal job guarantee to mitigate any economic shocks. She also insisted the committee have subpoena power and only include members of Congress who don't accept contributions from donors in the fossil fuel industry.

None of Ocasio-Cortez's demands were accepted. Instead, in the rules resolution for the new Congress, Pelosi created a Select Committee on the Climate Crisis tasked with proposing climate policy recommendations to existing committees, similar to the process that Pelosi established in her first stint as speaker. The person Pelosi tapped to be chair of the select committee, Rep. Kathy Castor of Florida, made clear that the Green New Deal wouldn't be the sole focus of the committee's work, and that she could not insist that every member reject donations from the fossil fuel industry (though Castor did say she would stop accepting them.) Castor, who is not a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, was likely picked because she has been the No. 2 Democrat on the House Energy and Commerce Committee and can be expected to respect that committee's jurisdiction over climate policy.

I feel conflicted as I'm now in Nancy's corner. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 04, 2019, 10:32:09 AM

Yes, that is the seasonally adjusted estimate. You can also look up the not seasonally adjusted estimate on their website, if you'd like.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

Apparently, Trump threatened to use emergency power to get his wall. Not in concrete, mind you. In steel. Because it's more beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTpFOswgqA
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Is there a relevant time stamp? Ain't nobody got time for that much drivel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

Alas, no, and I don't have the heart to suffer through it again.

But you can see this: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/04/trump-is-considering-using-emergency-powers-to-build-a-border-wall.html

The "artistically designed steel slats" vs "the concrete wall", he has also tweeted about earlier in December. https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-slats-border-wall-tweet_us_5c19a48de4b0432554c5518a?ec_carp=5933121930961008106
Que le grand cric me croque !

FunkMonk

He also said he was looking into using the "military version of eminent domain" to seize private land for the wall  :mad: :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 04, 2019, 05:15:51 PM
He also said he was looking into using the "military version of eminent domain" to seize private land for the wall  :mad: :lol:

:lol:  Well a considerable portion of the border is Reservation land, so there is precedent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

11B4V

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 04, 2019, 04:41:16 PM
Alas, no, and I don't have the heart to suffer through it again.

But you can see this: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/04/trump-is-considering-using-emergency-powers-to-build-a-border-wall.html

The "artistically designed steel slats" vs "the concrete wall", he has also tweeted about earlier in December. https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-slats-border-wall-tweet_us_5c19a48de4b0432554c5518a?ec_carp=5933121930961008106

Mexico's paying for it. They will just be billed later. No worries.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwMZEHrV4AEvW9d.jpg:large

Has he actually watched the show? Somebody tell him that when it counts the wall ends up not working.

Monoriu

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 04, 2019, 04:10:13 PM
Apparently, Trump threatened to use emergency power to get his wall. Not in concrete, mind you. In steel. Because it's more beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTpFOswgqA

So what stops him from doing that?  Why just talk about it?  Why not just go ahead and do it?

jimmy olsen

Trump's real estate experience coming to the fore. When in doubt, evict some poor people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/as-shutdown-drags-on-trump-officials-seek-novel-ways-to-cope-with-its-impacts/2019/01/06/96c54a50-11ee-11e9-90a8-136fa44b80ba_story.html?utm_term=.8189863d655f
QuoteThe Department of Housing and Urban Development sent letters to 1,500 landlords Friday as part of a last-minute effort to prevent the eviction of thousands of tenants. A lot of those tenants live in units covered by a HUD program that many agency officials didn't realize had expired on Jan. 1 and that they are now unable to renew.

The letters instruct the landlords to use their reserve accounts so that no one is evicted, HUD spokesman Jereon Brown said. He said the budget and contract staff are "scouring for money" to figure out how to fund the contracts on an interim basis.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point