Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 16, 2019, 02:42:52 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 16, 2019, 02:36:01 PM
This whole "to vote walk towards the yes/no hall" system seems awfully inconvenient. Is that done for every tabled vote or just pageantry for the momentous ones?  :hmm:

It was how Parliament voted to resist the invasion of Ivar the Boneless so they must always do it that way...

But actually I seem to recall from the Iraq War vote they tend to vote that way only for the big stuff.

I think its on nearly on everything.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Speaker can call for shouts of  "aye" or "nay" and let it go through that way if there is a clear result.

mongers

"May survives for another day"

Is that all that happened today?   :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on January 16, 2019, 03:50:03 PM

The MPs still have about 70 days left to figure out what they actually want from Brexit before we fall off the cliff, no hurry.

Legbiter

Nobody else wants her job at the moment.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on January 16, 2019, 04:01:07 PM

The MPs still have about 70 days left to figure out what they actually want from Brexit before we fall off the cliff, no hurry.

Ironically today's result was 52% for her, 48% against.   :hmm:

The Larch

There's a campaign called "Led by donkeys" that is putting up billboards with the real tweets of politicians doing Brexit predictions and analysis.  :lol:

Tamas

That's brilliant!  :lol:

Also I watched May's speech a few minutes ago (she was in front of No.10). It was so empty, and full of what we call "switchblade opening" sentences like "time to put away our differences", that I felt personally insulted for having been convinced to listen to it.

Then the realisation struck me: I can't remember a single sentence from this woman during her premiership, that held even an ounce of substance. Not one.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on January 16, 2019, 05:17:52 PM
Then the realisation struck me: I can't remember a single sentence from this woman during her premiership, that held even an ounce of substance. Not one.

"Brexit means Brexit"? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2019, 05:54:04 PM

"Strong and stable".  :lol:

jimmy olsen

That's brilliant!  :lol:

Also I watched May's speech a few minutes ago (she was in front of No.10). It was so empty, and full of what we call "switchblade opening" sentences like "time to put away our differences", that I felt personally insulted for having been convinced to listen to it.

Why that turn of the phrase?  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 16, 2019, 03:37:04 PM
Speaker can call for shouts of  "aye" or "nay" and let it go through that way if there is a clear result.

Yeah it is the same in Hong Kong since we follow the British system.  Basically, the bulk of the daily motions are not controversial.  Does this Council agree with changing the name of this building from Mary to Betty?  Do you agree with giving an inflation adjustment to staff of public hospitals?  Do you note the 2018 annual report of [obscure commission on trees that nobody cares]?  They just say yay and get on with it. 

For more controversial items, some legislator has to demand a formal division.  This is always granted, and they vote. 

I once saw a legislator put forward a motion on his favourite topic.  This usually warrants a vote.  But procedure wise, the speaker had to ask the bunch to say yay or nay.  As expected, half said yay and half said nay.  The speaker had full authority to judge which side was louder and proclaim that side to win.  But everybody knew that legislator was supposed to stand up and ask for a vote.  For some reason he forgot.  The speaker waited, waited, took 10 seconds to say every word and stared at the legislator in question angrily, until that guy woke up from Neverland and asked for a vote. 

Syt

https://www.der-postillon.com/2019/01/europaeische-allianz.html

"Because it's easier: All countries except the UK leave the EU and form a new association"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2019, 05:54:04 PM

Not a fan of tautologies I guess.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2019, 07:40:41 AM
https://www.der-postillon.com/2019/01/europaeische-allianz.html

"Because it's easier: All countries except the UK leave the EU and form a new association"

:lol: