Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2018, 02:18:26 PM
Serious question, not just my bias speaking here- but is May the most anti democratic prime minister of modern times?
Just shocking how much she is pissing over our institutions.

I'm not sure the UK would survive any more democracy. Brexit is quite enough, thank you!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Serious question, not just my bias speaking here- but is May the most anti democratic prime minister of modern times?
For someone who is ostensibly "taking back control" over British laws from the EU for parliament, she is rather often in contempt of it as an institution. First she stated that the advisory referendum binds the sovereign parliament, then Gina Miller and the Supreme Court had to force her to give parliament any say in triggering Brexit, then the Henry VIII powers for administration legislating, then she fought the meaningful vote, then she delayed the no deal impact reports, then the legal advice and now makes the meaningful vote impossible. Her whole way of handling Brexit was opaque and had a quite authoritarian streak.

mongers

I've not yet got the courage to watch today's news.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

The thing is, the best way to understand Theresa May's predicament is to imagine that 52 percent of Britain had voted that the government should build a submarine out of cheese.

Now, Theresa May was initially against building a submarine out of cheese, obviously. Because it's a completely insane thing to do.

However, in order to become PM, she had to pretend that she thought building a submarine out of cheese was fine and could totally work.

"Cheese means cheese," she told us all, madly.

Then she actually built one.

It's shit. Of course it is. For God's sake, are you stupid? It's a submarine built out of cheese.

So now, having built a shi* cheese submarine, she has to put up with both Labour and Tory Brexiters insisting that a less shi* cheese submarine could have been built.

They're all lying, and they know it. So does everybody else. We've covered this already, I know, but it's cheese and it's a submarine.

How good could it possibly be?

Only she can't call them out on this. Because she has spent the past two years also lying, by pretending she really could build a decent submarine out of cheese.

So that's where we are.

On balance, I this analogy works fine, perhaps except for the submarine and cheese parts, which need a little work.

██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Barrister

Meh.  The problem isn't that Brexit is impossible.  It clearly is possible, and appears still likely to happen.

The problem is that it's going to require some degree of sacrifice.  Britain won't be able to get everything that it wants.  You're either going to have to follow some level of EU regulatory control, or have allow free movement, or allow a hard border in Ireland.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

:huh:
Building a cheese submarine is not impossible either.

chipwich

The British have a schizophrenic idea of democracy so saying she is anti-democratic is meaningless. If you want your institutions to matter write down your constitution. Hammurabi figured that shit out a billion years ago.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 11, 2018, 01:45:14 PM
Meh.  The problem isn't that Brexit is impossible.  It clearly is possible, and appears still likely to happen.

The problem is that Brexit is a disastrous policy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Don't worry chaps, it's all going swimmingly.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Iormlund on December 11, 2018, 02:00:31 PM
:huh:
Building a cheese submarine is not impossible either.

Right use something hard like Manchego for the outside parts, then some softer French or Italian cheeses for the crew quarters.  Only problem is importing all that continental cheese after a no deal Brexit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

May will face a vote of no confidence in her role as tory leader :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46535739

Syt

Tory leader. Ok. Would it be very weird to not be party leader but still be PM?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

OMG this train wreck would be so fascinating to watch if I wasn't sitting on it.