Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

England sends about £11bn a year to Scotland (£2000 for every person living there); doesn't matter if you are in a union but it will stop if they leave.

Grey Fox

In a normal government, yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2018, 01:21:25 PM

What do you mean by that? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2018, 01:22:11 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 16, 2018, 01:21:25 PM

What do you mean by that? :hmm:

If England can demand EU membership benefits without the duties, Scotland can demand independence while England continues footing their bills, I guess.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on October 16, 2018, 12:38:38 PM
EEA is not going to happen. The tories are more concerned with their byzantine plots and powerplays than good governance.

I'm 90% sure of a no-deal Brexit at this point. I'm one of the 6 ppl who voted "Other European - Leave" in the original poll of this thread so I'm quite fine with it. I've despised the UK's european attitude ever since Thatcher's "I want my money back", so fuck them.

What was the result of the Scottish referendum, 40-45% voted for independence? Give it 5 years of no-deal Brexit and the next one will be 55-60% voting for independence.

You reap what you sow, stupid rosbiffs.

Yeah, and watch the economies of Ireland and Scotland grow as the economy of England sinks into the depression of a state without trading partners.

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 16, 2018, 01:12:45 PM
England sends about £11bn a year to Scotland (£2000 for every person living there); doesn't matter if you are in a union but it will stop if they leave.

A small amount given the cost of staying tied to a failing UK economy.

Gups

Two thirds of Scottish exports are to england

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on October 16, 2018, 04:17:07 PM

Sure, for now and while England is in the EU; London is a financial centre; and the Pound is worth something.

Those are not immutable conditions.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2018, 04:21:20 PM

Sure, for now and while England is in the EU; London is a financial centre; and the Pound is worth something.

It's much like Canada-US.  We can try to diversify our trade all we want, but simple geography dictates who our #1 trading partner is going to be.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2018, 04:23:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 16, 2018, 04:21:20 PM

It's much like Canada-US.  We can try to diversify our trade all we want, but simple geography dictates who our #1 trading partner is going to be.

I think you are missing the point.  The UK is not a market like the US.  The demand for Scottish products will likely diminish as the economy of England crumbles.

celedhring

England's economy won't crumble. It will be needlessly hurt by leaving, but it's not going to turn into an autarchic wasteland.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2018, 04:50:27 PM
England's economy won't crumble. It will be needlessly hurt by leaving, but it's not going to turn into an autarchic wasteland.

Give the Tories time, they'll get there.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on October 16, 2018, 04:50:27 PM

What percentage of England's economy is related to the London's status as a world financial centre?  I am not sure what the answer is but I would hazard a guess that it is substantial.  What will happen to that driver of the economy after Brexit?  Again, that is not entirely clear but certainly there will be some decline.  If a substantial driver of England's economy declines, what are the knock on effects?  Not entirely sure but it is not to the upside.

Why would Scotland keep itself tied to this mess?  Only if the benefits of maintaining the union outweigh the benefits of becoming a member of the EU.  Besides, to the extent England still demands Scottish goods, that demand will not end if Scotland is in the EU - although the demand will suffer to some extent because of English Tariffs.

Richard Hakluyt

I do believe that the union will end at some point, possibly quite soon. It has lost its purpose. But that doesn't alter the fact that the newly independent Scotland will have a budget deficit of 8% or so of GDP and will have to endure brutal austerity in its early years.

Also, as Adam Smith remarked, there is a "great deal of ruin in a nation". After brexit the UK will still have its populace and infrastructure and traditions. After a painful recession I expect growth to resume. Unless we do an Argentina of course, but that would require an entire century of political stupidity.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.