Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

celedhring

We like to point and laugh at feminist SJWs, but then a major newspaper goes and opens with this shit :bleeding:

Josquius

Its hilariously terrible in oh so many ways.
The UK. Where the Independent  dies and the Daily Mail thrives :(
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It is a horrendous rag.

I wonder whether the declining circulations partly account for the retrograde views in British newspapers? Even the "progressive" newspapers seem to be living in the past to me. But then how many people under the age of 40 ever buy one?

I've found some figures : https://www.themediabriefing.com/article/youth-audiences-newspaper-old-demographics-advertising

A pretty elderly bunch all-in-all; and don't forget that the Daily Mail readers were socially backward when they were young.............which might explain the right-wing and (more interesting perhaps) 1970s feel to the paper.

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 28, 2017, 05:41:27 AM
It is a horrendous rag.

I wonder whether the declining circulations partly account for the retrograde views in British newspapers? Even the "progressive" newspapers seem to be living in the past to me. But then how many people under the age of 40 ever buy one?

I've found some figures : https://www.themediabriefing.com/article/youth-audiences-newspaper-old-demographics-advertising

A pretty elderly bunch all-in-all; and don't forget that the Daily Mail readers were socially backward when they were young.............which might explain the right-wing and (more interesting perhaps) 1970s feel to the paper.

I find interesting how major Spanish rags have a noticeably different profile in their print and online versions. Print tries to be tidy, professional, and serious, while the online versions are more clickbaity and trashy, with more opinion pieces being featured.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on March 28, 2017, 04:37:04 AM
We like to point and laugh at feminist SJWs, but then a major newspaper goes and opens with this shit :bleeding:

More pointing and laughing!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-39422747

QuoteScottish Parliament backs referendum call
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote"If Brexit is a disaster I will go and live abroad. I will go and live somewhere else."

Farage has previously admitted considering plans to move to the US.

"There is a huge temptation to up sticks and move to America..." he told the Telegraph following Donald Trump's election.
http://www.businessinsider.de/nigel-farage-will-leave-britain-if-brexit-is-a-disaster-2017-3?r=UK&IR=T

garbon

No one cares, Nigel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

What a fucking hypocrite.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2017, 02:50:35 PM
What a fucking hypocrite.

Brexiters didn't want to stop people from leaving, only from coming :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Where in the US could Farage live where (a) people would not think he's a douche and (b) is not a dismal backwater?

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2017, 03:10:13 PM
Where in the US could Farage live where (a) people would not think he's a douche and (b) is not a dismal backwater?

Where in the UK could he live that would meet those same criteria?  Or let's just say, in the world?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2017, 03:10:13 PM

Dunno, but he seems like he'd be a fun guy to have a couple beers with.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall