Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Video from FT that explains some of the issues around the Brexit negotiations:
https://www.ft.com/content/da0e3d5d-ccf0-3b40-b865-f648189fb849

Razgovory

I do feel very sorry for Tamas in this.  I hope he will be able to stay in the UK. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2017, 04:00:24 PM
I do feel very sorry for Tamas in this.  I hope he will be able to stay in the UK. :(

Of course I will.

Tamas

Also it is worth noting that main Brexit guy of the government, David "Arrogant Cunt" Davis recently admitted the government had made no calculations regarding the economic effects of a hard Brexit.

They are, apparently, just pursuing it because peopleswillstopscaremongeringredbluewhitebrexit

Josquius

Yup. Even putting aside that it is ideologically disgusting, it's an absolute cluster fuck.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

So no early election. Is this because Labour is so weak she feels she doesn't need to establish her credentials by having voter mandate to be in power?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Amazing how the pound dropped like a rock almost the very instance brexit was mentioned today.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2017, 08:15:59 AM
Amazing how the pound dropped like a rock almost the very instance brexit was mentioned today.

Down 0.05% against the dollar and 0.01% against the Euro. Run for the hills!!!

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on March 20, 2017, 08:24:59 AM

On the grand scale its nothing. But these micro moves matching up with politicians saying stupid things amuse me nonetheless.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2017, 07:39:09 AM
So no early election. Is this because Labour is so weak she feels she doesn't need to establish her credentials by having voter mandate to be in power?

Or maybe she remembers that before all the nonsense brought up since 2010 it was not normal for a new prime-minister to go straight to the electorate for a "mandate".

See Brown, Major, Callaghan, MacMillan, Chamberlain, Lloyd George, Asquith and Balfour since 1900, for example.

In fact, I can only think of the 2 1910 elections and the 1923 election as ones since 1900 where parliament was dissolved early specifically to get a mandate on an issue, rather than because the timing was right for the ruling party/coalition.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on March 20, 2017, 09:59:47 AM

Or maybe she remembers that before all the nonsense brought up since 2010 it was not normal for a new prime-minister to go straight to the electorate for a "mandate".

See Brown, Major, Callaghan, MacMillan, Chamberlain, Lloyd George, Asquith and Balfour since 1900, for example.

In fact, I can only think of the 2 1910 elections and the 1923 election as ones since 1900 where parliament was dissolved early specifically to get a mandate on an issue, rather than because the timing was right for the ruling party/coalition.

That seems a bit naive. You deal with your political realities as they are now, not how they once were.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2017, 10:04:30 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 20, 2017, 09:59:47 AM

That seems a bit naive. You deal with your political realities as they are now, not how they once were.

This is Britain.

Emasculated and diluted as it is, we still have a House of Lords. :P

I think "Issue" elections pretty much went out of business because the party calling the election always seemed to fail to get the clear mandate they'd been after, or any mandate at all even.

All three post 1900 "issue" elections I can think of resulted in hung parliaments. Even with the smaller electorate of the post 1832 Reform Act 19th Century "issue" elections rarely worked.

Admittedly for the post 1900 elections this was partly due to the other issues of the time as well - in 1910 the Irish nationalists and in 1923 the rise of Labour and the legacy of the papered over Liberal split. But the "I need a mandate" issue hadn't been particularly resonant either time, with in two of the three cases the ruling party suffering serious losses.

There's an argument that 1905 could be called an "issue" election as well, despite occurring roughly 5 years into the parliament (a fairly normal election time.) The side with the "issue", the Tory/Liberal Unionist coalition, was hammered in that election as well.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Richard Hakluyt

I'm glad that she has kicked the Scottish referendum into the long grass as well. We need fewer elections not more, excessive voting and electioneering just creates mess.

celedhring

Quote from: Gups on March 20, 2017, 08:24:59 AM

Yeah, it's not like the market didn't know that UK triggering Article 50 was coming up this month. Whatever effect on the value of the pound, it's already been accounted for.

Richard Hakluyt

There was a substantive drop of 10% or so against the $ and the euro just after the referendum result. Since then the £ has held steady against the euro but dropped a further 5% against the $.