Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Valmy

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 19, 2016, 02:07:30 AM
I didn't get a job in Canada because I'm a fucking white male. Women/minorities only.

Canada gave Justin Trudeau a job. There is hope for you yet!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I didn't get a job in Canada because I'm a fucking white male. Women/minorities only.

At least you are fucking.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2016, 08:47:03 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2016, 10:52:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2016, 08:41:23 PM
I don't see why the pressure is on the UK.  I think Sheilbh's suggestion is an eminently sound one, and don't see why Tamas is arguing that this would sacrifice a "huge advantage" for the EU.  You agree with Tamas but don't explain why.  What is the huge advantage?
If you don't see why the pressure is on the UK it's clear that you also don't get the follow on argument that Tamas made.

In other words, you can't answer my question, but don't want to admit it so you claim that i cannot understand the answer you cannot articulate!  :lol:

That's kinda what I thought.  Intellectual responses just don't feel good enough for you?
No. You are arguing from a different premise than me and Tamas and thus come to different conclusions. That's ok, but unless you are willing to engage with our premise, namely that the UK has more to lose and thus is under higher pressure, you'll not follow the rest of our argument either.

OttoVonBismarck

It's best not to engage with grumbler when he gets like that, usually in a few weeks he'll be better.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 19, 2016, 08:51:46 AM

At least you are fucking.  :)

Besides Marti and Gral, who isn't?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 19, 2016, 10:59:46 AM
It's best not to engage with grumbler when he gets like that, usually in a few weeks he'll be better.
It's ok. His argument is valid in his frame of reference. It's just that it has little to with the real world.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on July 19, 2016, 10:38:15 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2016, 08:47:03 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2016, 10:52:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2016, 08:41:23 PM
I don't see why the pressure is on the UK.  I think Sheilbh's suggestion is an eminently sound one, and don't see why Tamas is arguing that this would sacrifice a "huge advantage" for the EU.  You agree with Tamas but don't explain why.  What is the huge advantage?
If you don't see why the pressure is on the UK it's clear that you also don't get the follow on argument that Tamas made.

In other words, you can't answer my question, but don't want to admit it so you claim that i cannot understand the answer you cannot articulate!  :lol:

That's kinda what I thought.  Intellectual responses just don't feel good enough for you?
No. You are arguing from a different premise than me and Tamas and thus come to different conclusions. That's ok, but unless you are willing to engage with our premise, namely that the UK has more to lose and thus is under higher pressure, you'll not follow the rest of our argument either.

I don't think the Uk is under all that much pressure. See Euro threatening for article 50 to be triggered and UK chilling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I am imagining the Charleston Mercury instead printing a headline 'THE UNION IS DISSOLVED at some convenient point in the future'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Would have saved a lot of death and destruction.

garbon

Phew. Eagle is out.

Richard Hakluyt

She's been out for years garbon  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 19, 2016, 11:35:31 AM
She's been out for years garbon  :hmm:

I prefer not to think about female sexuality. -_-

Richard Hakluyt

Oh.....sorry.......should have given trigger warning  :hug:

Richard Hakluyt

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on July 19, 2016, 10:38:15 AM

I am not starting with the conclusion, that is true.  I think it intellectual folly to build an argument on an unnecessary and potentially precisely-the-opposite-of-true premise.  I understand the emotional attraction of being able to select your data to fit your desired conclusion, but don't get your pretense that it is intellectually attractive.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!