Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

dps

You're no longer a 21 year old with no experience.

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on July 18, 2016, 09:35:13 PM

That's true, but I am still unemployable in Canada.  I have no delusions that my Hong Kong civil service experience means exactly nothing in Canada.  I know lots of people that moved to Canada.  People that are much smarter and more connected than me tried to get a job over there.  I have never heard of a single case that succeeded. 

Zanza

No one ever got a job in Canada!!!!

Jacob

That's kind of weird. Maybe you have a very restricted social circle or something, because I know plenty of people from Hong Kong - and mainland China - with actual jobs in Canada.

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on July 18, 2016, 09:58:10 PM
Quote from: dps on July 18, 2016, 09:35:13 PM

That's true, but I am still unemployable in Canada.  I have no delusions that my Hong Kong civil service experience means exactly nothing in Canada.  I know lots of people that moved to Canada.  People that are much smarter and more connected than me tried to get a job over there.  I have never heard of a single case that succeeded.

We can debate what 21 year old Mono should have done, but I understand his present position as a fellow public servant.

His HK experience has some value, but he's not going to just waltz in to a senior civil service position as a long-time resident of a foreign country (even as a Canadian citizen).  He could probably get a position with the public service, but it'd be much closer to an entry-level position than the high-ranking position he holds now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on July 19, 2016, 12:23:43 AM
No one ever got a job in Canada!!!!

I am talking about office jobs, not any job  :P

garbon

Who cares if Mono could get a job in Canada or not? Dull pantomime that we've played out 10,000 times.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on July 19, 2016, 12:43:23 AM
That's kind of weird. Maybe you have a very restricted social circle or something, because I know plenty of people from Hong Kong - and mainland China - with actual jobs in Canada.

I had an uncle on my mother's side.  He came to Canada in the 90s and continued to do what he had always done - repair stuff, operate cameras etc.  That's an actual job.  Nothing wrong with being a repairman.  He made a living and had his own house.  In a sense, he had a job upon arrival.  My classmates in university all had jobs.  Retail, bank tellers, waitresses, sales people.  Nobody was really unemployed. 

But I am talking about office jobs. 

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2016, 01:37:48 AM
Who cares if Mono could get a job in Canada or not? Dull pantomime that we've played out 10,000 times.

Believe me, I am probably the one who is the most tired of this topic.  So I try to keep my responses relatively brief.  But I feel kind of obliged to respond  :blush:

Josquius

What hurts about corbyn and labour is so many people are utterly clueless about why it's a bad idea to have him as leader. They're too busy shouting about ev0l Blair.
Hopefully with the inquiry over we can put iraq behind us and get back to remembering Blair as the good pm, with a few lapses, that he was.
██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

I didn't get a job in Canada because I'm a fucking white male. Women/minorities only.

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 19, 2016, 02:07:30 AM
I didn't get a job in Canada because I'm a fucking white male. Women/minorities only.

:console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2016, 10:04:21 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2016, 08:51:50 PM

This is the question of our time:  how to manage the permanent unemployability of the former industrial workers (out of work not only due to globalization, but also mechanization) while not losing their children to the same problem.  It happened in farming already, but the numbers in industry are far larger.  It is a global problem, not a national one.

Where is this picture from?
That looks so much like a friend of mine it's scary
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2016, 03:32:39 AM

Where is this picture from?
That looks so much like a friend of mine it's scary

It was all over the news yesterday.  The "pork dudes" trade is dominated by middle-aged, half naked, foul mouthed males.  It is rare to have a female join them, especially a young and good looking one. 

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2016, 10:52:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2016, 08:41:23 PM
I don't see why the pressure is on the UK.  I think Sheilbh's suggestion is an eminently sound one, and don't see why Tamas is arguing that this would sacrifice a "huge advantage" for the EU.  You agree with Tamas but don't explain why.  What is the huge advantage?
If you don't see why the pressure is on the UK it's clear that you also don't get the follow on argument that Tamas made.

In other words, you can't answer my question, but don't want to admit it so you claim that i cannot understand the answer you cannot articulate!  :lol:

That's kinda what I thought.  Intellectual responses just don't feel good enough for you?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!