Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

I get that but I always thought PMs obfuscated that sort of question, so some ordered retaliation but I think some (I want to say Heath or Major didn't).
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 18, 2016, 11:07:10 AM
MP just asked "Are you prepared to authorise a nuclear strike that could kill 100,000s of men, women and children?"

Theresa May: "Yes".

Trident debate, not Brexit. But bloody he'll :blink:

Well there's certainly a decent debate to be had about the future and status of a British nuclear deterrent, but this parliamentary one isn't it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

MP just asked "Are you prepared to authorise a nuclear strike that could kill 100,000s of men, women and children?"

Is there any other answer she can give?  I mean, why maintain nuclear weapons at all if you are unwilling to use it?  If she says no, then you may as well not bother with keeping nuclear weapons in the first place. 

Tamas

Quote from: Monoriu on July 18, 2016, 11:10:46 AM

Is there any other answer she can give?  I mean, why maintain nuclear weapons at all if you are unwilling to use it?  If she says no, then you may as well not bother with keeping nuclear weapons in the first place.

Exactly. It is her job t be able to make that decision. If yes is out of question, she is unfit for her job.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, what a weird thing to get ones hackles up over; if the leader of a nuclear state isn't willing to use nuclear weapons, they are unfit to be the leader of such a state.

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 18, 2016, 11:08:18 AM
She has to say that though, otherwise why waste the money on the deterrent?
She could have answered like this:  :bowler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESIJ_C9mUBI#t=01m49s

It's funny how many of the topics of Yes, Prime Minister are still current topics in British politics.  :)

Valmy

If they would scrap it and then use the money on conventional forces, like Hacker wanted to, that would be great. Maybe not so much with the re-introduction of conscription though  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on July 18, 2016, 04:36:27 AM
I have been to Australia several times and I think the place is really nice.  Blue sky, fresh air, friendly people, amazing scenaries, good food.  I assume it shares roughly the same pros and cons with Canada.  Good education and health care, horrible job prospects and heavy tax burden.
When I studied there I found the education underwhelming despite supposedly studying at one of their finest universities. Agreed on the first two sentences though. Job prospects back then were excellent though. Tax burden is less than in Europe. I guess they don't offer HK civil service jobs though, which is apparently your measure for every job market.

Richard Hakluyt

University of Wallamaloo?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Zanza on July 18, 2016, 11:56:11 AM
I have been to Australia several times and I think the place is really nice.  Blue sky, fresh air, friendly people, amazing scenaries, good food.  I assume it shares roughly the same pros and cons with Canada.  Good education and health care, horrible job prospects and heavy tax burden.
When I studied there I found the education underwhelming despite supposedly studying at one of their finest universities. Agreed on the first two sentences though. Job prospects back then were excellent though. Tax burden is less than in Europe. I guess they don't offer HK civil service jobs though, which is apparently your measure for every job market.

Quality of education isn't all that important if you aren't an academic, at least it's significantly overrated versus innate intelligence.

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 18, 2016, 12:04:39 PM
University of Wallamaloo?
University of Melbourne

#1 ranked Australian university and about #40 in the world
http://www.australianuniversities.com.au/rankings/

EDIT: Some other rankings have ANU better ranked, but it's still "one of their finest" universities at #2.

Sheilbh

Administrative Court holding a case management conference tomorrow to organise the various legal claims regarding Brexit.

No Article 50 this year :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 18, 2016, 12:15:37 PM
Quality of education isn't all that important if you aren't an academic, at least it's significantly overrated versus innate intelligence.

What do you base that on?

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on July 18, 2016, 11:56:11 AM
what was underwhelming about it? I thought they have a pretty big percentage of study abroad kids there.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Incidentally Zanza, the FT's reporting that the SPD is going to oppose TTIP going into the next election.

What impact does that have on the coalition now? Is it influenced by Brexit (ie. the 'losers of globalisation' perspective) or just reflecting the long argument I understand the German and Dutch left have been having about it?
Let's bomb Russia!