News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2016, 11:46:02 PM
Does anyone want to know how my first game of the year went?

I hope you made it to the airport safely.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2016, 11:44:07 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 04, 2016, 11:37:31 PM
:lol:  You be sure to let those ACC refs know how pissed off you are at them next time you see them, okay?

They knew what was good for them if they wanted to make it to the airport safely.  What with the holiday and all.

Yeah Texas is not that kind of fanbase. They get drunk and stoned win or lose. If the crew from the Oklahoma State game last year made it home unscathed everybody is safe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2016, 11:46:02 PM
Does anyone want to know how my first game of the year went?

The crowd gave the refs a standing ovation?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Yeah, just DIII. I am debating how much longer I want to do it, honestly. Takes a ridiculous amount of time, for basically peanuts.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

"Just" DIII. Shit, being a ref seems like it would be a pretty difficult thing regardless of the level. 

So how was the first game?

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2016, 11:58:17 PM
Yeah, just DIII. I am debating how much longer I want to do it, honestly. Takes a ridiculous amount of time, for basically peanuts.

What were your goals when you started doing this?

Anyway how did it go?

Berkut

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 05, 2016, 12:03:18 AM
"Just" DIII. Shit, being a ref seems like it would be a pretty difficult thing regardless of the level. 

So how was the first game?

That is just it - it is really damn hard, takes a stupid amount of preparation, and compared to say a D1 FBS game, is at most, marginally less difficult. For which we get paid less than 10% what a D1 official makes, and only slightly more than a high school official makes - less, if you consider the amount we are paid as a function of the time we have to spend.

But hell, it is football, and I love doing it. If it was just the actual 2.5-3 hours of the game, it would be awesome no matter how badly we were paid.

But my first game went really well. In fact, this is the first year since I became a referee that I actually have a real crew, instead of a bunch of newbs and castoffs. The old director of officials was fired, and we didn't get along. The new directory is an NFL guy (Bill Schuster) and he is changing a lot of things, and is much easier to work with, even while he is trying hard to raise the level that is expected from us.

0 rows returned

dps

I remember a while back you saying that you weren't even sure you were going to continue being an official this year.  Glad to hear that you stuck with it, and that you actually have your own crew this time.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2016, 11:15:03 AM
Arizona looked terrible. The offense, other than Wilson, looks completely out of sync.

Commentators were saying the defense looked pretty good; if you have to have a bad unit, you'd rather it be your offense, because RR is in a position to fix that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2016, 05:13:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 04, 2016, 11:15:03 AM
Arizona looked terrible. The offense, other than Wilson, looks completely out of sync.

Commentators were saying the defense looked pretty good; if you have to have a bad unit, you'd rather it be your offense, because RR is in a position to fix that.

Well....I guess. The defense at Arizona has been so bad for so long, I am not sure I can tell anymore what looks good, and what is just a not very good offense they are up against.

I guess RichRod could fix the offense, but why would it need fixing? It has a returning QB, a solid returning RB, a decent line, and very good receivers. The scheme is supposed to make it all work, and it just looked terrible for the most part.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 04, 2016, 11:05:27 PM
Brian Kelly is a piece of shit.

But we knew that when he got that kid killed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Glad I came back to this thread to see Seedy losing his shit :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

:lol:  It just wouldn't be college football season without it.

PDH

:) I'm still pleased with Wyoming's undefeated season.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM