News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel
I made it up Mount Rainier, though I aggravated my ankle and the last half of the descent turned into a trainwreck (though I made it down). I'm back in an aircast. If you can walk at a normal pace, you would blow by me at this point.  :P
Congratulations to reaching the summit. Too bad about your ankle. Get well soon!

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on August 15, 2016, 03:16:36 PM

Not one of the classic scenic ones like Maiden Castle, Hod or Hambleon hill, but this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badbury_Rings

It's at least useful as two roman road cross at it, so it's a good jumping off point for a more adventurous longer off-road ride or a nice country walk.

Thanks, interesting place, hadn't heard of it before. On the list it goes.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on August 15, 2016, 03:19:53 PM

Not one of the classic scenic ones like Maiden Castle, Hod or Hambleon hill, but this one:

It's at least useful as two roman road cross at it, so it's a good jumping off point for a more adventurous longer off-road ride or a nice country walk.

The Roman road that lead North from there is more interesting, as it's all followable in the landscape and later sections are still well preserved under a covering of grass. It also directly cuts across, perhaps intentionally a significant neolithic/bronze age landscape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackling_Dyke
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 10, 2016, 01:35:39 PM
Bumping to hopefully motivate myself. :P

I haven't made any progress since dropping 35 pounds between April and September last year, but I haven't backslid either.  I have been terrible about consistently lifting, though.

That's pretty impressive. :thumbsup:

But yeah never mind what exact program you're running, it's consistency that's key to success. Lifting 3-4 times a week come what may will get you a lot of good results especially if your diet remains on point.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on August 15, 2016, 03:30:07 PM
Quote from: Maladict on August 15, 2016, 03:19:53 PM

The Roman road that lead North from there is more interesting, as it's all followable in the landscape and later sections are still well preserved under a covering of grass. It also directly cuts across, perhaps intentionally a significant neolithic/bronze age landscape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackling_Dyke

Good stuff. I envy your ancient paths.

Admiral Yi

I lost 17 pounds shlepping golf clubs this summer! :yeah:

Eddie Teach

Have you been working as a caddy?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Speaking of schlepping golf clubs, I am putting serious effort into my game again.  I have been to the range on three consecutive weeks now.  Have only been hitting my 5 and 9, in order to work on my swing.  Still somewhat inconsistent, but when I'm on I'm getting about 120 yards off my 9 and 150 yards off my 5.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2016, 03:39:22 PM
Have you been working as a caddy?

I've been pulling my bag around on a hand cart I bought for 15 clams at a used sporting goods store.  Sweating about 5 gallons of water a day.  Also have a totally savage golf tan.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2016, 12:48:42 PM
I lost 17 pounds shlepping golf clubs this summer! :yeah:

:cool:

The best way to lose weight, not actively trying.

God thread bump too.

PDH

Last weekend my nephew and I made it to the Summit of Medicine Bow Peak.  Only 12,000 feet, but a nice view when we got there.  I should have done more of this when I was young.

posted image
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on August 30, 2016, 07:24:33 PM
Last weekend my nephew and I made it to the Summit of Medicine Bow Peak.  Only 12,000 feet, but a nice view when we got there.  I should have done more of this when I was young.

posted image

That's somewhat beyond cool.  :)

alfred russel

I found this on page 4.

So I have a question to legbiter: how many pull ups should I be able to do and how much should I be able to bench (as a percent of body weight) to stop being a kind and sensitive person or the insult of the moment?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2016, 09:43:05 AM
I found this on page 4.

So I have a question to legbiter: how many pull ups should I be able to do and how much should I be able to bench (as a percent of body weight) to stop being a kind and sensitive person or the insult of the moment?

Three pull ups.

(at least I hope that's the answer, I start to loose form by 4 :()
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2016, 09:43:05 AM
I found this on page 4.

Depends on your fitness level but in benching for instance it's what you personally can lift with good form. You do you, and with good food and sleep the gainz will follow. Same with pull ups. You can increase your strength fairly easily with consistent training.

That said, here are some numbers on the bench.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html

A program with the 4 classic lifts of bench press, back squat, deadlift and overhead press will give you very good value for your time.  :thumbsup:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.