And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2016, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2016, 09:46:09 AM
I've done this race every year for the past 30 years, except one year I broke my ankle the day before

That's a really good excuse though.

It is a very good excuse.

Doing the race on crutches would have been a better story, and while it might have sucked, I spent the time I'd have been in the race on the internet instead. I don't know how things would have gone, they could have gone very poorly which is why I didn't go, but today is kind of a waste.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Today was my first day back at work since breaking my ankle, and the first day I covered a lot of distance on crutches.

Let me say now that doing a 10k on crutches was a really stupid idea. That would have sucked way more than I thought.

At my gym I discovered we have a machine that you can basically spin but with your arms and no legs. This way I can get in cardio. I normally do cardio and then shift to weights, but today when I tried that I found out I will need to switch the order of those if I want to get any weights in the mix.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Did 95km on the bike on Sunday evening, including a fair bit of off-road; I think I've only just now fully recovered.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2016, 06:50:31 AM
Did 95km on the bike on Sunday evening, including a fair bit of off-road; I think I've only just now fully recovered.   :blush:

Wow that is quite an evening outing.

Maladict

Another 50km walk. It doesn't get easier. At all.

Josquius

Though I must remember that it is second thing in the morning, after using the loo, and I haven't yet eaten or drank anything.... I seem to have lost 4kg in two weeks :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 07, 2016, 01:17:55 AM
Another 50km walk. It doesn't get easier. At all.
:cool:

That's some going.

Do remember when you do the epic walk, the walking pace will be that of the slowest in your group, so might be easier than you think?

Brazen

Threw together an emergency training plan for a 10K race I'm doing a week on Sunday, did one session and came down with a streaming cold and cough. I may skip this one. Annoying.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on July 07, 2016, 05:47:42 AM
Do remember when you do the epic walk, the walking pace will be that of the slowest in your group, so might be easier than you think?

The group consists of two people  :)
We walked together a few weeks ago, interestingly our pace was higher than either of us walks individually.

Liep

I must have missed that, what and where is this epic walk?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

It's not that epic really, it's just that I'm not very good at endurance stuff.
This is it, 4x50km two weeks from now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Four_Days_Marches_Nijmegen

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 07, 2016, 12:57:38 PM
It's not that epic really, it's just that I'm not very good at endurance stuff.
This is it, 4x50km two weeks from now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Four_Days_Marches_Nijmegen

If someone held a real gun to my head, I might just be able to do a 50km, then I'd die, whether the chap with the gun tried to make me to the other three marches or not.  :D

edit:
the slightly more serious point I'd make is with age, like what I have, speed of recovery becomes an real problem.  <_<

mongers

Bumping.

Not doing a lot myself, popped out this evening at 7.30pm having waited for the temperature to drop towards 80F, did 28-30 miles around the forest, not too bad weatherwise, just so long as you didn't stop.

Got home at sunset and it was still in the  high 70s, I'll have to limit my littles rides for the next week to the very late evening.

alfred russel

After breaking my ankle July 3, I"ve been hitting the gym regularly (only 1 rest day since July 6), and doing a hand bike to try to keep up cardio, but I think i'm fucked. I'm supposed to be starting a mountaineering trip on August 8. My ankle is healing super fast, I've been taking off my air cast and walking / limping this weekend without much pain, but I can't really effectively train. I still want to give the trip a go.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on July 17, 2016, 06:14:38 PM
After breaking my ankle July 3, I"ve been hitting the gym regularly (only 1 rest day since July 6), and doing a hand bike to try to keep up cardio, but I think i'm fucked. I'm supposed to be starting a mountaineering trip on August 8. My ankle is healing super fast, I've been taking off my air cast and walking / limping this weekend without much pain, but I can't really effectively train. I still want to give the trip a go.

AR, I was going to ask you for an update.

Sounds like good progress, maybe 20 days is doable? Good luck.