News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2016, 02:58:47 PM
I mentioned this in the other forum but I don't think I posted here.  A few weeks ago I started riding my bike to work.  Its a bit of a climb coming home but I have come to really enjoy it.  Also I have dropped a lot of weight.  I am going to wait a few more weeks and then have my suits back to the tailor to have them resized  :D

:cool:

Yeah, having to carry extra weight up hill on a bike is a great way of shedding it, way better than just carting it around on the flat.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on June 26, 2016, 03:07:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2016, 02:58:47 PM
I mentioned this in the other forum but I don't think I posted here.  A few weeks ago I started riding my bike to work.  Its a bit of a climb coming home but I have come to really enjoy it.  Also I have dropped a lot of weight.  I am going to wait a few more weeks and then have my suits back to the tailor to have them resized  :D

:cool:

Yeah, having to carry extra weight up hill on a bike is a great way of shedding it, way better than just carting it around on the flat.

:D

Exactly what I have been thinking...

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on June 12, 2016, 07:49:08 PM
BB, three things:

1) Neither you nor i nor probably anyone else here will ever achieve anything great athletically. Even if you work really hard at running, every race you run you will probably get smoked by lots of others (I know I do). So, take pride in what you accomplish, because getting off the couch and being able to run ~4 miles is not something many people do.

2) If you keep running 40 minutes, you are going to improve quickly.

3) I think that is awesome. Seriously.

Yeah, good job, Beeb.  If you can run 40 minutes on level terrain, you're close to being able to run more-or-less indefinitely from a cardiovascular perspective (you'll still get thirsty, tired, have to pee, and your feet and knees may start complaining).  The point is, the worst is getting to where the exertion is simply normal.

I mean, I have a much easier time deciding to go out and run eight miles, even in Pittsburgh, than I do forcing myself to clean the bathroom.  Which I'm avoiding right now (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting).

Anyway, I ran 14 miles the other day, which I believe is the longest I've ever been out (I never time myself outside of the gym, but it was something like 100, 110 minutes).  That wasn't too bad, although the elevation changes here are still just awful.  For example, there's a three mile stretch between my house in Squirrel Hill and the big movie theater in Homestead, with an overall elevation change of about 400 feet, with one hill that must be 80 or so feet up and only 500 feet long--it's at about a 40 degree incline--and it's absolute murder to take it running.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on June 26, 2016, 04:51:19 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 12, 2016, 07:49:08 PM
BB, three things:

1) Neither you nor i nor probably anyone else here will ever achieve anything great athletically. Even if you work really hard at running, every race you run you will probably get smoked by lots of others (I know I do). So, take pride in what you accomplish, because getting off the couch and being able to run ~4 miles is not something many people do.

2) If you keep running 40 minutes, you are going to improve quickly.

3) I think that is awesome. Seriously.

Yeah, good job, Beeb.  If you can run 40 minutes on level terrain, you're close to being able to run more-or-less indefinitely from a cardiovascular perspective (you'll still get thirsty, tired, have to pee, and your feet and knees may start complaining).  The point is, the worst is getting to where the exertion is simply normal.

I mean, I have a much easier time deciding to go out and run eight miles, even in Pittsburgh, than I do forcing myself to clean the bathroom.  Which I'm avoiding right now (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting).

Anyway, I ran 14 miles the other day, which I believe is the longest I've ever been out (I never time myself outside of the gym, but it was something like 100, 110 minutes).  That wasn't too bad, although the elevation changes here are still just awful.  For example, there's a three mile stretch between my house in Squirrel Hill and the big movie theater in Homestead, with an overall elevation change of about 400 feet, with one hill that must be 80 or so feet up and only 500 feet long--it's at about a 40 degree incline--and it's absolute murder to take it running.

Ide, good to hear from you. :cheers:

Sounds like you've really found your feet with the running.

alfred russel

Ide that is awesome. You are now clearly better than me.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

If those numbers indicate that, I must be estimating them wrong. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

I broke my ankle today when rock climbing.

Supposed to do a 10k tomorrow - the largest in the world. It is such a big event in Atlanta and I do it every year, I'm considering walking it on crutches. Only my ankle hurts like hell. We shall see.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on July 03, 2016, 05:34:54 PM

Supposed to do a 10k tomorrow - the largest in the world. It is such a big event in Atlanta and I do it every year, I'm considering walking it on crutches. Only my ankle hurts like hell. We shall see.

:(

Damn, that's bad luck AR. 

I don't think your doctor would approve of that, why not take a proper time out and come back rested and raring to go?

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on July 03, 2016, 05:47:49 PM

I don't think your doctor would approve of that, why not take a proper time out and come back rested and raring to go?

He did actually. :)

I told him I have a race tomorrow, and he cut me off - and this is a quote - "Hell No. No fucking way,"

But then I said what if I just walk on crutches in a boot, and he said that would be fine.

There is no way I would run - it hurts like hell and a flight of stairs is my arch nemesis at the moment. I might be able to do it on crutches and I don't think I'd hurt anything.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on July 03, 2016, 05:55:39 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 03, 2016, 05:47:49 PM

He did actually. :)

I told him I have a race tomorrow, and he cut me off - and this is a quote - "Hell No. No fucking way,"

But then I said what if I just walk on crutches in a boot, and he said that would be fine.

There is no way I would run - it hurts like hell and a flight of stairs is my arch nemesis at the moment. I might be able to do it on crutches and I don't think I'd hurt anything.

Hell you could start a new upper body development regime, you could call it "Doing it on crutches"  :P

alfred russel

I skipped the 10k. I realized that if it was a painful chore to get to the bathroom, it would probably really suck to do a 10k in a crowd of 50-60k people.

I may regret that in the future. I may be one day saying, "I've done this race every year for the past 30 years, except one year I broke my ankle the day before," as opposed to, "I've done this race every year for the past 30 years, even one year when I broke my ankle the day before and I had to do the whole thing on crutches."

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2016, 09:46:09 AM
I skipped the 10k. I realized that if it was a painful chore to get to the bathroom, it would probably really suck to do a 10k in a crowd of 50-60k people.

I may regret that in the future. I may be one day saying, "I've done this race every year for the past 30 years, except one year I broke my ankle the day before," as opposed to, "I've done this race every year for the past 30 years, even one year when I broke my ankle the day before and I had to do the whole thing on crutches."

Look at the bright side; it gives you an out to skip it more years so that situation never presents itself.

alfred russel

:lol: I really love the race though.

lustindarkness

Crap, we were so close to making fun of you for stupidly destroying your armpits.  :(

Hope you heal soon, if not,  I'm always available for amputations.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2016, 09:46:09 AM
I've done this race every year for the past 30 years, except one year I broke my ankle the day before

That's a really good excuse though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.