Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2015, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 04:40:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 02:46:19 PM
If you have an answer I would be happy to hear it.  Put another way, if there was an answer that made sense I would be much more likely to become a Christian.  :)

Even if there was an answer that made sense it would have nothing to do with why people become Christians. People do not become religious because they are looking for a way to game life and gain some kind of edge by wielding their prayer weapons. Well ok probably some do but that is kind of missing the point.

Ok, but I wasn't talking about other people was I  ;)

Well, if you are looking for a way to game life and gain some kind of edge out of religion, Scientology may be your answer ... only you have to have started it.  ;)

True.  But that wasn't my question.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 04:43:18 PM

True. I was saying even if we could somehow produce one I wouldn't recommend you become a Christian based on that :P

I don't know.  I think the biggest flaw is the thought that there is an all loving God that somehow takes care of things.  If you can reconcile that notion with what we see in the world then you have an answer to a riddle I have not been able to solve.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 04:45:04 PM

True. I was saying even if we could somehow produce one I wouldn't recommend you become a Christian based on that :P

I don't know.  I think the biggest flaw is the thought that there is an all loving God that somehow takes care of things.  If you can reconcile that notion with what we see in the world then you have an answer to a riddle I have not been able to solve.

All that has to give is the notion that God is particularly loving.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 04:37:22 PM

America being 100% evil and responsible for everything was kind of new and fresh and funny in the 1960s but it is a little tiresome now.

You're just missing the end, the "logical" end. "Méthode adaptée en Français (sic) i.e the French had it coming since they are doing like the Americans.

Martinus

What if God works on an individual level? So if you do good, it means you are in touch with God and he/she/it is working through you. If you do evil, it means you are out of touch with God.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 04:53:49 PM

What if God works on an individual level? So if you do good, it means you are in touch with God and he/she/it is working through you. If you do evil, it means you are out of touch with God.

Then God should get rid of evil.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

God cant - God cant affect those who are out of touch with God - hence evil is out of God's reach. God can only affect "good".

God's omnipotency is localised. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2015, 04:47:11 PM

America being 100% evil and responsible for everything was kind of new and fresh and funny in the 1960s but it is a little tiresome now.

You're just missing the end, the "logical" end. "Méthode adaptée en Français (sic) i.e the French had it coming since they are doing like the Americans.

Ah I thought it said the method had been finally adapted, thus Hollande was reacting like Amurikkka in reaction to the attack in Paris rather than France was already being Hitler-like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I think there is nothing more glorious than the pissed off French republic.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 05:02:54 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2015, 04:47:11 PM

Ah I thought it said the method had been finally adapted, thus Hollande was reacting like Amurikkka in reaction to the attack in Paris rather than France was already being Hitler-like.

Well, now that you put it in those terms, I see what you mean. The comparison to Amurikkka is indeed intended. While France being Hitler-like is a bit too soon but it is somewhat implied, indeed.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2015, 03:10:21 PM

Who was the free will on how they are born? :unsure:

Their parents... or did you think that free will only applies to you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2015, 04:46:36 PM

All that has to give is the notion that God is particularly loving.  :D

Exactly - that is God's Problem.  To steal a line from Ehrman.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 05:05:10 PM
I think there is nothing more glorious than the pissed off French republic.

I liked the line Oliver used about that.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 05:23:44 PM

Sorry the 'they' was with regards to the not yet born. And no, other than choosing not to have the children, I don't think the parents had much say in what BB is talking about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2015, 06:08:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 05:23:44 PM

Sorry the 'they' was with regards to the not yet born. And no, other than choosing not to have the children, I don't think the parents had much say in what BB is talking about.

The answer remains the same.  The parents made the choice of their own free will, they just don't understand the consequences of those actions.  Consequences to an action can be almost impossible to predict, but that doesn't mean you aren't caused by someone's free will.  Most of the time bad things that happen to you are due to the choices of others, even if they didn't intend to hurt you.  Simply because you (or another person) lack a perfect knowledge of events doesn't mean God has it in for you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017