News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootings and explosions in Paris

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2015, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2015, 03:16:37 PM
French media say it's the police special forces.

I'd guess that the terrorists must have fired a fair few too, lucky only one bystander/non-police person was injured, could have been a lot worse.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 03:18:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2015, 03:14:13 PM
Fireblade and Daily Mail.  :hmm:

Ah. Well that explains it.

No, Liep should check again. The silence minute was booed, that's not support to the victims.
http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/le-scan-sport/buzz/2015/11/17/27002-20151117ARTFIG00407-attentats-a-paris-une-minute-de-silence-sous-une-pluie-de-sifflets-avant-turquie-grece.php
Link includes a video

Same happened during the Ireland-Bosnia game, but less dramatic with fewer numbers.

http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/le-scan-sport/2015/11/17/27001-20151117ARTFIG00060-attentats-de-paris-une-minute-de-silence-non-respectee-avant-irlande-bosnie.php

Now, contrast that with the England-France game in Wembley where English fans even sung the Marseillaise, something some French players do not (Benzema the maître chanteur black-mailer in French :D) or ministers (Taubira).

Valmy

Why don't they sing? Are they monarchists?  :mad:

What were they chanting?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 03:36:36 PM
Why don't they sing? Are they monarchists?  :mad:

What were they chanting?

How can you not sing La Marseillaise. It's the best anthem and we have two Languish polls to prove it!  :mad:

Duque de Bragança

The Marseillaise is a symbol of nationalist oppression, of the Right.  :tinfoil:
Taubira used to be in favour of Guyane independence, she's a sell out but she kept some old habits. As for Benzema, it's identity politics, he feels more Algerian, but the French squad pays better.
Ribéry probably can't read the Marseillaise, much less sing it, since the French level required is too high.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2015, 03:43:47 PM
Ribéry probably can't read the Marseillaise, much less sing it, since the French level required is too high.  :lol:

Ne sois pas si snob.  :glare:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2015, 03:43:47 PM

Ne sois pas si snob.  :glare:

Je t'emmerde ! :)

Duque de Bragança

This one is in the "even dumber than Syt's family connections" series but in French for the francophiles or francophones

[spoiler]Originally, this is meant to be somewhat humorous, cf. "la Chatte qui bulle"but I got it from somebody who believes all and any of it. Not my family, of course.[/spoiler]

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2015, 03:28:22 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2015, 12:48:13 PM
So the guy who rented his squat

How do you rent a squat?

Easy, cash goes from hand to hand. If you're friends with the "owner" it can be free.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2015, 04:08:36 PM
This one is in the "even dumber than Syt's family connections" series but in French for the francophiles or francophones

[spoiler]Originally, this is meant to be somewhat humorous, cf. "la Chatte qui bulle"but I got it from somebody who believes all and any of it. Not my family, of course.[/spoiler]

America being 100% evil and responsible for everything was kind of new and fresh and funny in the 1960s but it is a little tiresome now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 02:46:19 PM
If you have an answer I would be happy to hear it.  Put another way, if there was an answer that made sense I would be much more likely to become a Christian.  :)

Even if there was an answer that made sense it would have nothing to do with why people become Christians. People do not become religious because they are looking for a way to game life and gain some kind of edge by wielding their prayer weapons. Well ok probably some do but that is kind of missing the point.

Ok, but I wasn't talking about other people was I  ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2015, 02:54:57 PM

If you have an answer I would be happy to hear it.  Put another way, if there was an answer that made sense I would be much more likely to become a Christian.  :)

The answer really depends on what sect of Christianity is.  Look for yourself.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theological_determinism

Ah, so the answer is, it depends.  Not very compelling.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 04:40:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 02:54:42 PM

Even if there was an answer that made sense it would have nothing to do with why people become Christians. People do not become religious because they are looking for a way to game life and gain some kind of edge by wielding their prayer weapons. Well ok probably some do but that is kind of missing the point.

Well, if you are looking for a way to game life and gain some kind of edge out of religion, Scientology may be your answer ... only you have to have started it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 04:40:42 PM

True. I was saying even if we could somehow produce one I wouldn't recommend you become a Christian based on that :P