What is the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 13, 2015, 06:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are the two best MCU films?

Iron Man
6 (22.2%)
The Incredible Hulk
0 (0%)
Iron Man 2
1 (3.7%)
Thor
8 (29.6%)
Captain America: First Avenger
0 (0%)
The Avengers
8 (29.6%)
Iron Man 3
1 (3.7%)
Thor: The Dark World
1 (3.7%)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6 (22.2%)
Guardians of the Galaxy
18 (66.7%)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
0 (0%)
Ant Man
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2015, 02:53:00 PM
I missed Hami. We don't have too many conceited snobs on Languish. Oh wait.

Ok STFU with that noise.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on September 13, 2015, 05:12:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2015, 03:53:32 PM
"Everything everyone does sucks" is the general Languish mode of communication.  It's how this place kind of became a cesspool.
Yeah.  It was kinda bumming me out, but then I put things in perspective.  I just don't come around very often anymore, and I just ignore certain topics and people.

Huh. Well sorry guys I wish it were not so. I think this place is positively delightful compared to all the other places on the internet I have been. Where is this non-cesspool place you guys hang out at?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2015, 04:03:52 PM
What constitutes "won't be seen"? After all, there are plenty of people so lots of things will be seen again.  That said, to me what's more interesting is about memorability. While I liked Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't think there's anything particularly memorable about it. No snappy lines I'll want to borrow.

I guess Little Monsters would fall under the minimum level needed for "culturally important."

One thing about the Marvel movies that I think is being overlooked--and which Tim intuits--is that for the most part it's acceptable for and well-liked by children, and with about 27 hours' worth of bright colors and cum jokes that aren't quite overt enough for the wee ones, it'll keep people's kids sedated for decades to come.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2015, 05:46:26 PM
"Everything everyone does sucks" is the general Languish mode of communication.  It's how this place kind of became a cesspool.
Yeah.  It was kinda bumming me out, but then I put things in perspective.  I just don't come around very often anymore, and I just ignore certain topics and people.

Huh. Well sorry guys I wish it were not so. I think this place is positively delightful compared to all the other places on the internet I have been. Where is this non-cesspool place you guys hang out at?
I think the problem is that familiarity breeds contempt. It's not that Languish is worse than other internet forums (it's better than almost all of them), it's just that the posters know each other so well that a lot of things are taken personally.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2015, 05:58:37 PM
One thing about the Marvel movies that I think is being overlooked--and which Tim intuits--is that for the most part it's acceptable for and well-liked by children, and with about 27 hours' worth of bright colors and cum jokes that aren't quite overt enough for the wee ones, it'll keep people's kids sedated for decades to come.

I take it you are not a fan? :P

For what they are I have been really surprised by the general good quality of the films, even as they keep getting made in crazy numbers. Sure there are dudes but not nearly as many as one might expect. I think comic book fans are going to appreciate these films for decades to come.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2015, 05:46:26 PM

Got to agree with V.

Ide quit your whining.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2015, 05:02:58 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on September 13, 2015, 12:24:28 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2015, 07:25:34 AM
Wrong. The best of them like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier will be remembered 30 years from now, like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Others like Iron Man 2 have already been thrown onto the trash heap of history.

:lol:

Oh no, wait, you're serious. Yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Citizen Kane of the 2010s. Wow.
Does anyone think that Raiders of the Lost Ark is on the level of Citizen Kane? Because that's what I compared it to. Surely you'll agree that some of the action/scifi films released this decade will stand the test of time and be remembered 30 years from now. My claim is that Guardians of the Galaxy will be one of them.

Among geeks and nerds like most posters here?  Yeah, probably.  Among general movie audiences?  Probably not.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2015, 06:02:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2015, 05:58:37 PM

I take it you are not a fan? :P

Of course I am.  I like bright colors and cum jokes. :)

Quote from: InfantryIde quit your whining.

Not whining, just describing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Of the list, all but the below I like.

Guardians of the Galaxy= Suck fest and stupid
The Incredible Hulk= Couldn't get into it several times
Ant Man= Haven't seen

Avengers is my top pick.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2015, 06:28:56 PM
Not whining, just describing.

You didn't answer my question though. We being described as a cesspool implies there being a place that is better.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 13, 2015, 07:43:57 PM
Also, DC comic book movies suck.

If they're not Batman (and even then, that's not a guarantee; see: Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, and The Dark Knight Rises).  Other than that caveat, I pretty much agree: Green Lantern sucked, and so did Man of Steel.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

You forgot the suckiest one of all, Catwoman.

Batman Forever was ok though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.