What is the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 13, 2015, 06:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are the two best MCU films?

Iron Man
6 (22.2%)
The Incredible Hulk
0 (0%)
Iron Man 2
1 (3.7%)
Thor
8 (29.6%)
Captain America: First Avenger
0 (0%)
The Avengers
8 (29.6%)
Iron Man 3
1 (3.7%)
Thor: The Dark World
1 (3.7%)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6 (22.2%)
Guardians of the Galaxy
18 (66.7%)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
0 (0%)
Ant Man
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2015, 03:51:09 AM
You know, I say this all the time, but I think it's a bit of a pity that the Motion Picture and III get such bad raps.  As for TMP, at least it's understandable (it is slow as fuck, although I prefer to call it stately).  III's a pretty great adventure film, and even if you like the second one better, it nonetheless enriches and deepens II.

Then again, I also think V is a fundamentally enjoyable experience.  It's hard to separate Trek fandom from a sober-minded analysis.  But it is about the only film I know where one of the heroes shoots God in the face.

Star Trek I and III are fine, imho. IV is stupid but a guilty pleasure of mine, loved it as a kid  :blush:

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2015, 04:26:17 AM
You know, I say this all the time, but I think it's a bit of a pity that the Motion Picture and III get such bad raps.  As for TMP, at least it's understandable (it is slow as fuck, although I prefer to call it stately).  III's a pretty great adventure film, and even if you like the second one better, it nonetheless enriches and deepens II.

Then again, I also think V is a fundamentally enjoyable experience.  It's hard to separate Trek fandom from a sober-minded analysis.  But it is about the only film I know where one of the heroes shoots God in the face.

Star Trek I and III are fine, imho. IV is stupid but a guilty pleasure of mine, loved it as a kid  :blush:

I still love it :hug:

Syt

IV is one of the most entertaining time travel movies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2015, 01:02:10 AM
Seven votes for Thor?

I liked it, but I didn't think it was great. Why so many fans?

Whatshername is in it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2015, 02:53:00 PM
I missed Hami. We don't have too many conceited snobs on Languish. Oh wait.

There's a difference between conceit and snark. I have been honing my snark skills in snark camp (aka Twitter).

Hamilcar

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 13, 2015, 08:41:57 PM
She kinda looks like Scorpio from Farscape in that pic. :x

Now that's a movie I'd watch. On a plane.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on September 14, 2015, 04:38:10 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2015, 04:26:17 AM

I still love it :hug:

I rate IV as highly as II, personally.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ideologue

IV's swell.  And double-dumbass on anybody who disagrees.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2015, 01:02:10 AM
I liked it, but I didn't think it was great. Why so many fans?
Big muscular tall guy that looks like he spends his days training.  He got all the gay mafia vote from this board, even if he's too old for Gral.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Also the filmmaking isn't hideous, like in, for example, the Winter Soldier.  (Dutch angles notwithstanding, of course.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2015, 07:39:47 PM
You didn't answer my question though. We being described as a cesspool implies there being a place that is better.
not specifically, no.  Describing one place as 'hell' could only mean it's one of the seven hells, the first one, not as bad as the other 6.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2015, 02:53:36 AM
As an aggregate, I largely agree with that.  But about a third of them are pretty great.  (Will they be dragged down by the average?  I don't see why.  Does Star Trek II suffer because Generations exists?  Actually, it might.  I'm not sure the Star Trek films are heavily-seen these days.)
Old movies are not heavily seen these days.  People in the 50s didn't spend most of the time in theaters watching movies made in the 20s either.  And in the 80s, with the VHS, some old movies got renewed interest, but I'd bet the majority of movies watched where the recent ones.  Today is no different.  Fans and cinema afficionados will watch/rewatch classics, but aside that, not many people want to see movies done 3-4 decades ago, unless the special effects happen to have been redone, like Star Wars.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2015, 12:13:45 PM
Also the filmmaking isn't hideous, like in, for example, the Winter Soldier.  (Dutch angles notwithstanding, of course.)
Winter soldier is way better than both Thor.  I liked them, I've even rewatched them when they were on TV, but they still are not great movie like the Winter Soldier.