What is the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 13, 2015, 06:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are the two best MCU films?

Iron Man
6 (22.2%)
The Incredible Hulk
0 (0%)
Iron Man 2
1 (3.7%)
Thor
8 (29.6%)
Captain America: First Avenger
0 (0%)
The Avengers
8 (29.6%)
Iron Man 3
1 (3.7%)
Thor: The Dark World
1 (3.7%)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6 (22.2%)
Guardians of the Galaxy
18 (66.7%)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
0 (0%)
Ant Man
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Eddie Teach

She kinda looks like Scorpio from Farscape in that pic. :x

But I was talking about the standalone Catwoman movie with Halle Berry. Just awful.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 13, 2015, 08:28:42 PM
You forgot the suckiest one of all, Catwoman.

Batman Forever was ok though.

I was naming exceptions, not the sucky ones.  Or I would have started with that shitfest that was Green Lantern.
Experience bij!

katmai

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 13, 2015, 09:08:21 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 13, 2015, 08:28:42 PM
You forgot the suckiest one of all, Catwoman.

Batman Forever was ok though.

I was naming exceptions, not the sucky ones.  Or I would have started with that shitfest that was Green Lantern.

Ide probably loves it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2015, 05:02:58 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on September 13, 2015, 12:24:28 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2015, 07:25:34 AM
Wrong. The best of them like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier will be remembered 30 years from now, like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Others like Iron Man 2 have already been thrown onto the trash heap of history.

:lol:

Oh no, wait, you're serious. Yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Citizen Kane of the 2010s. Wow.
Does anyone think that Raiders of the Lost Ark is on the level of Citizen Kane?

Hami does.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are great. Man of Steel is good. The rest are crap or too old to be in the discussion of modern (post X-Men) superhero movies.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Avengers and Winter Soldiers are on the top of my list.

Guardians of the Galaxy is funny, but I don't feel anything for the characters.  Thor was so-so (1&2).  Iron Man 1 was great, 3 was pretty good too.  2, meh.

I think my appreciation is tainted by my childhood experience.  The Avengers and Iron Man, I watched the cartoons on Saturday morning as I was a kid.  I think it's more nostalgia than any intrinsic quality about the movies.  That, and I'm a Joss Whedon fan.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Seven votes for Thor?

I liked it, but I didn't think it was great. Why so many fans?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2015, 05:58:37 PM
One thing about the Marvel movies that I think is being overlooked--and which Tim intuits--is that for the most part it's acceptable for and well-liked by children, and with about 27 hours' worth of bright colors and cum jokes that aren't quite overt enough for the wee ones, it'll keep people's kids sedated for decades to come.

Well doesn't that just had down the path that none of them are particularly memorable - they'll just be remembered as as an amusing mash of entertainment?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2015, 01:02:10 AM
Seven votes for Thor?

I liked it, but I didn't think it was great. Why so many fans?

Best is not necessarily good. I liked Thor but I'm not a fan and I didn't think it was great.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 02:13:34 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2015, 05:58:37 PM
One thing about the Marvel movies that I think is being overlooked--and which Tim intuits--is that for the most part it's acceptable for and well-liked by children, and with about 27 hours' worth of bright colors and cum jokes that aren't quite overt enough for the wee ones, it'll keep people's kids sedated for decades to come.

Well doesn't that just had down the path that none of them are particularly memorable - they'll just be remembered as as an amusing mash of entertainment?

As an aggregate, I largely agree with that.  But about a third of them are pretty great.  (Will they be dragged down by the average?  I don't see why.  Does Star Trek II suffer because Generations exists?  Actually, it might.  I'm not sure the Star Trek films are heavily-seen these days.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I only see Star Trek II shown as part of Star Trek marathons in movie channels, so I think it actually helps there's lots of Trek films.

Ideologue

You know, I say this all the time, but I think it's a bit of a pity that the Motion Picture and III get such bad raps.  As for TMP, at least it's understandable (it is slow as fuck, although I prefer to call it stately).  III's a pretty great adventure film, and even if you like the second one better, it nonetheless enriches and deepens II.

Then again, I also think V is a fundamentally enjoyable experience.  It's hard to separate Trek fandom from a sober-minded analysis.  But it is about the only film I know where one of the heroes shoots God in the face.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2015, 03:51:09 AM
You know, I say this all the time, but I think it's a bit of a pity that the Motion Picture and III get such bad raps.  As for TMP, at least it's understandable (it is slow as fuck, although I prefer to call it stately).  III's a pretty great adventure film, and even if you like the second one better, it nonetheless enriches and deepens II.

Then again, I also think V is a fundamentally enjoyable experience.  It's hard to separate Trek fandom from a sober-minded analysis.  But it is about the only film I know where one of the heroes shoots God in the face.
Happens all the time in anime.

1 Karma Chameleon point