What is the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 13, 2015, 06:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which are the two best MCU films?

Iron Man
6 (22.2%)
The Incredible Hulk
0 (0%)
Iron Man 2
1 (3.7%)
Thor
8 (29.6%)
Captain America: First Avenger
0 (0%)
The Avengers
8 (29.6%)
Iron Man 3
1 (3.7%)
Thor: The Dark World
1 (3.7%)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6 (22.2%)
Guardians of the Galaxy
18 (66.7%)
Avengers: Age of Ultron
0 (0%)
Ant Man
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Jaron

I think Ironman is great with the Avengers but boring to watch on his own. Narcissism only works well with me when he has other personalities to play off of. Incredible Hulk is boring because nothing can hurt him. He works well with the Avengers because you know he is their ace card.

I liked Captain America though. Never saw Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Ironman 3.

The Thor movies are great.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on September 13, 2015, 02:48:27 PM
I think Ironman is great with the Avengers but boring to watch on his own. Narcissism only works well with me when he has other personalities to play off of. Incredible Hulk is boring because nothing can hurt him. He works well with the Avengers because you know he is their ace card.

I liked Captain America though. Never saw Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Ironman 3.

Guardians of the Galaxy is great. It is this generation's Star Wars.

Martinus

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 13, 2015, 12:24:28 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2015, 07:25:34 AM
Wrong. The best of them like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier will be remembered 30 years from now, like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Others like Iron Man 2 have already been thrown onto the trash heap of history.

:lol:

Oh no, wait, you're serious. Yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Citizen Kane of the 2010s. Wow.

I missed Hami. We don't have too many conceited snobs on Languish. Oh wait.

Anyway, it's not Citizen Kane, but neither were Star Wars.

celedhring

Comparisons with Star Wars are wide off the mark imho. Guardians just adds some flourishes to the symphony Star Wars wrote. Star Wars changed the way entertainment movies were made, it's one of the most influential films of all time.

Razgovory

Wrong. The best of them like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier will be remembered 30 years from now, like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Others like Iron Man 2 have already been thrown onto the trash heap of history.

Oh no, wait, you're serious. Yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Citizen Kane of the 2010s. Wow.

Tim's predictions have not exactly been robust.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2015, 02:49:25 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 13, 2015, 02:48:27 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy is great. It is this generation's Star Wars.

Isn't this generations Star Wars..... Star Wars? :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ideologue

Are you under some sort of impression that Raiders of the Lost Ark is the Citizen Kane of 1981?  It's an extremely well-done version of things that already existed, much in the same manner as GotG.  (For that matter, much in the same way as Citizen Kane.)  That Raiders is still leagues better than GotG just means that Tim didn't properly calibrate his comparison, particularly for an audience made up of nostalgic 80s children who still wish Indy was their dad.  Maybe should've used Goldfinger (another mercenary producer-driven franchise entry that people still watch 50 years later) or Flash Gordon (another riff on Star Wars that people still watch 35 years later).

Anyway, the idea that a movie that made a billion dollars won't be seen three decades down the line is not the same as putting in it on some all-time top 10 list.  Jesus, people still watch Little Monsters, a Fred Savage vehicle remembered principally because there's a part where they trick a kid into drinking piss.

Quote from: NeilI don't think so.  I think that Languish can be a little too scathing and cruel sometimes.  There are times when people do get a little too navel-gazey, but I think Ide looks in depth into films, while still generally staying somewhat grounded.

I like to visit Ide's webpage from time to time, especially when there's a new movie out.  I'm still waiting for his Fantastic Four review, although moving to Pittsburgh has probably kept him busy.

:)

"Everything everyone does sucks" is the general Languish mode of communication.  It's how this place kind of became a cesspool.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

What constitutes "won't be seen"? After all, there are plenty of people so lots of things will be seen again.  That said, to me what's more interesting is about memorability. While I liked Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't think there's anything particularly memorable about it. No snappy lines I'll want to borrow.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Citizen Kane has a lot of good points, but it's still a fucking biopic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Does anyone think that Raiders of the Lost Ark is on the level of Citizen Kane? Because that's what I compared it to. Surely you'll agree that some of the action/scifi films released this decade will stand the test of time and be remembered 30 years from now. My claim is that Guardians of the Galaxy will be one of them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2015, 05:02:58 PM

Does anyone think that Raiders of the Lost Ark is on the level of Citizen Kane? Because that's what I compared it to. Surely you'll agree that some of the action/scifi films released this decade will stand the test of time and be remembered 30 years from now. My claim is that Guardians of the Galaxy will be one of them.

:blurgh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2015, 03:53:32 PM
"Everything everyone does sucks" is the general Languish mode of communication.  It's how this place kind of became a cesspool.
Yeah.  It was kinda bumming me out, but then I put things in perspective.  I just don't come around very often anymore, and I just ignore certain topics and people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?