News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Damn it's been one of those weeks I'd rather forget about.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

God fucking damn it Mongers. You really shouldn't be allowed to close your threads.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2011, 05:21:48 PM
RESIST WE MUCH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqQe4KOrvsM
Yeah, I saw the same memo.

RE: Verbal Gaffs

All Republican loyalists are now authorized to again laugh at verbal gaffs after the long 2001-2009 hiatus so long as they do not laugh members of the GOP.  Al Sharpton it acceptable to be laughed at.  Laughing at Sarah Palin is unacceptable.  It is also now forbidden to observe any Republican using a teleprompter.  THIS WILL BE ENFORCED.  That is all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Will it be a new GATHER YOUR ARMIES?  Time will tell.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

I was looking at my county library website, and noticed the employment section.  I mean, I have no fahdicist ambitions of becoming a librarian, and was mainly curious, and looked at one of the librarian positions.  Bear in mind this requires a MLS, some certifications I've never heard of, and experience:

QuoteSALARY: $1,505.25 biweekly, plus salaried benefits.

I thought it was all right till I noticed the bolded part.  I mean, I'd probably take that salary too, but that's really pretty lousy.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 11:11:57 PM
I was looking at my county library website, and noticed the employment section.  I mean, I have no fahdicist ambitions of becoming a librarian, and was mainly curious, and looked at one of the librarian positions.  Bear in mind this requires a MLS, some certifications I've never heard of, and experience:

QuoteSALARY: $1,505.25 biweekly, plus salaried benefits.

I thought it was all right till I noticed the bolded part.  I mean, I'd probably take that salary too, but that's really pretty lousy.

As someone who once possessed fahdicist ambitions, I think $36,000/year seems in line with the library salaries I've seen (for ML(I)S holders), and not bad for a county library in S.C.  The library school market, like law school, seems to be totally inundated at the moment. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

I guess Ide is expecting a chest of gold every week for a salary.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Whoa.  I finished everything I needed to do today really goddamn early.  My weekend has started and I have no idea what to do at 8:30 in the morning.

Neil

It's the United States.  36k/year is plenty.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2011, 09:38:30 AM
It's the United States.  36k/year is plenty.

I think that greatly depends on where a person is in the US...but then you know that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

36k/year is alright, but not with 120k worth of debt.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.