News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on November 03, 2021, 07:20:58 PM
Why do I so often leave the unpleasant chores till after midnight, be it the bins or like the cat* litter tray I just graded and topped up?    :hmm:

It may be a British thing; I may not have a cat but it's once in a blue moon that my bins go out before I go to bed - which is normally after midnight.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

Right, only Brits procrastinate.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

I just discovered that there's a Broadway musical about the wives of Henry VIII called "Six" in which they sing in R&B diva style about their lives, should I assume it's the UK's answer to Hamilton?

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on November 04, 2021, 09:38:20 AM
I just discovered that there's a Broadway musical about the wives of Henry VIII called "Six" in which they sing in R&B diva style about their lives, should I assume it's the UK's answer to Hamilton?

I don't see why that comparison would be made.

I see it apparently debuted at Edinburgh fringe.

I know my husband loved it when he saw it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

So how widespread are 3-months notice periods in Project Management in the UK?

Asking for a friend.

DGuller

In my previous company I worked with a lot of people in London.  It seems like among the actuaries and data scientists, everyone who left was on a three month notice period.  I assume it's the law there?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2021, 11:56:27 AM
In my previous company I worked with a lot of people in London.  It seems like among the actuaries and data scientists, everyone who left was on a three month notice period.  I assume it's the law there?

It isn't. I was on a month in my first job here in the UK as was most of my team.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

A month is all I've had in the UK.
I think it may become a bit more standard to go longer with more senior roles?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2021, 11:18:15 AM

Well, it's a similar formula, a historical setting/characters with a modern musical framing and updated sensibilities, don't you think?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2021, 11:34:49 AM
So how widespread are 3-months notice periods in Project Management in the UK?

Asking for a friend.
Pretty standard from my understanding.

And, annoyingly, they may even make you work it <_< :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on November 04, 2021, 02:29:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 04, 2021, 11:18:15 AM

Well, it's a similar formula, a historical setting/characters with a modern musical framing and updated sensibilities, don't you think?

No, that doesn't seem like enough similarities to suggest one is just cribbing the other. Is Hamilton just a crib of Evita as it has created sympathy (and knowledge of) a historical character?

Josquius

Why do they call it a bus replacement service when its the train being replaced? 🤔
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2021, 05:01:45 AM
Why do they call it a bus replacement service when its the train being replaced? 🤔

In German it's  SCHIENENERSATZVERKEHR, literally "rail replacement traffic".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2021, 05:22:05 AM

I'd love to see a English bus/coach driver accurately feed that into their electronic destination display on the bus front.   :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: mongers on November 05, 2021, 06:08:25 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2021, 05:22:05 AM

I'd love to see a English bus/coach driver accurately feed that into their electronic destination display on the bus front.   :D

Well, it has nothing on Megabus's named buses:

https://uk.megabus.com/spot-our-named-coaches

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.