News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2021, 12:18:46 PM
Really surprised we are so low on that list with our massive diary industry. Maybe we just don't export much.
This chart may be a little misleading for the US, I imagine a lot of our cheese is classified under plastics.

Grey Fox

You guys make powdered milk. It gets imported and added to local production.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2021, 12:17:42 PM
What's got you so cheesed off about Netherland cheese, Sheilbh?

I personally don't have a strong opinion on cheese from the Netherlands, but whenever I've passed through Schiphol the place seems positively overflowing with the stuff. I'm not surprised they rank so high.
It's really bad - yeah they fill the airport with it and the Amsterdam old cheese shop. But it's dreadful cheese (and from the regular moans of friends who lived in the Netherlands very samey) - and they should be ashamed of themselves being so close England and France who both make very good cheese.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I was about to say - gouda to me is the epitome of bland, generic cheese.

Austria has a decent cheese selection with several large and small producers. Based on the little flags on cheese counters and shelves, most imported ones are form Germany (Allgäuer Emmentaler), France (brie, camembert etc.), UK/Ireland (Cheddars), and Italy (grano padano, parmeggiano, mozzarella etc.).

One thing that annoys me that there's a bit of a trend of "hay milk" cheese (i.e. from milk cows primarily fed on hay), which gives cheese a slightly swetly smell. I don't mind it once in a while, but in some supermarkets the varieties take up 1/3 of the shelf space at this point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on October 01, 2021, 12:40:02 PM
Austria has a decent cheese selection with several large and small producers. Based on the little flags on cheese counters and shelves, most imported ones are form Germany (Allgäuer Emmentaler), France (brie, camembert etc.), UK/Ireland (Cheddars), and Italy (grano padano, parmeggiano, mozzarella etc.).
Relatedly I am always very sad that the UK has failed so badly at marketing our cheese that cheddar (and often not the good one - see chat with CC - is the main one known) and not all the other ones especially all the blues, Tunworth, Yarg etc :(

I stand ever-ready to be appointed an official cheese envoy if that would help.

QuoteOne thing that annoys me that there's a bit of a trend of "hay milk" cheese (i.e. from milk cows primarily fed on hay), which gives cheese a slightly swetly smell. I don't mind it once in a while, but in some supermarkets the varieties take up 1/3 of the shelf space at this point.
I've not heard of that - sounds interesting and I'd like to try but, yeah, it seems a bit excessive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on October 01, 2021, 11:28:27 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2021, 11:22:32 AM
Really, Germany?   :huh:  That is one country I would never associate with cheese.

https://www.globaltrademag.com/global-cheese-market-2019-germany-emerges-as-the-largest-exporter/

I guess that does make sense in that Wisconsin is America's largest cheese producer (and beats out everyone but California by a huge margin.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

As a kid, I remember watching commercials on TV claiming "La Hollande, l'autre pays du fromage". I was not that convinced, but some Dutch cheese can be found in France. Not so in Portugal.

As for the chart, Belarus so high means they rename other cheese to export them to Russia to bypass sanctions or what?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 01, 2021, 12:20:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2021, 12:18:46 PM
Really surprised we are so low on that list with our massive diary industry. Maybe we just don't export much.
This chart may be a little misleading for the US, I imagine a lot of our cheese is classified under plastics.

Damn, you beat me to it.  The US leads the world in "pasteurized prepared cheese products".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Straight Outta Compton - Oktoberfest Edition

https://youtu.be/XLY4TsZBExY
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I was trying to find why one of my mods in Rim World is acting weird when I found the greatest name of a thread:

QuoteDoes tasing babies not stun them? Or does my colonist keep missing as he has no eyes?

The poster explains why he is trying to taze a baby

Quotetrying to taze the baby because it wouldnt shut up and kept causing mood debuffs to people in bathroom trying to have baths

Most people did not find this a reasonable explanation.  They asked why he didn't simply move the baby and he responded

QuoteIts either bathroom or prison because of the physic emnator and it wouldnt let me put it in the prison crib

When someone suggested they he just let the baby crawl around the colony the guy with baby trouble responded:

QuoteI tried, he just freezes to death as the only clothes he has right now is chains

After that the comments were less productive such as when a poster suggested that he simply cut the baby's tongue out.

One guy summed up the threat by saying

QuoteI keep rereading the thread and grinning lmao, what a trip. It's like one of those cursed images where there's a guy completely covered in armor made of wieners, with fire on his head, crying over a birthday cake with something in Tangut script written on it and a circle of his completely naked friends performing some sort of a ritual, with a person in a dirty Mickey Mouse costume supervising the entire thing, barely visible in the dark because the picture was taken with flash.

I am fairly sure this guy has been thinking about his "cursed images"  before the thread was started...

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 01, 2021, 12:26:21 PM

they export milk protein that gets used to make commercial cheese.

I have yet to see an american cheese in grocery stores.  Excluding fake cheese like Velveeta or Cheez-Whiz.  :yuk:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2021, 06:40:56 PM
I was trying to find why one of my mods in Rim World is acting weird when I found the greatest name of a thread:

QuoteDoes tasing babies not stun them? Or does my colonist keep missing as he has no eyes?

Well that's all horribly grim.
Nobody bothered to ask what the baby did wrong to deserve prison?

Doesn't help that as I read this I was stressing over a sick baby.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Interesting tweet from the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists:
QuoteICIJ
@ICIJorg
Soon everyone will be talking about the #PandoraPapers.

The new investigation — our most expansive exposé of financial secrecy yet — drops Sunday at 12:30 p.m. EDT, 4:30 p.m. GMT.

Get ready for reporting from 600+ journalists from 150 media outlets in 117 countries.

Seeing reports that one big bank has already prepped its PR/damage limitation line and it is apparently going to be bigger than the Panama papers :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on October 01, 2021, 09:10:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 01, 2021, 12:26:21 PM

they export milk protein that gets used to make commercial cheese.

I have yet to see an american cheese in grocery stores.  Excluding fake cheese like Velveeta or Cheez-Whiz.  :yuk:

I'm surprised since Vermont is one of the larger cheese producers (in fact there's a Vermont Cheese Trail.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Apparently, this is a candidate for the Roman elections, for the Roman Historical Movement "List Nero":

(As candidate, shouldn't his toga be all white? :hmm: )

Their program (you should be able to translate it in the browser):

https://www.movimentostoricoromano.it/programma

—Stephen Jay Gould