News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Amazing - missing man in Turkey accidentally joins a search party looking for him, before realising he is who they're looking for :lol:
https://t.co/4JmPAdva5U
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

50 years old and worried his father would punish him.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Welcome to the Mediterranean :P
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Looks like he's pretty good at that search party business.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Really, Germany?   :huh:  That is one country I would never associate with cheese.

Sheilbh

It is a disgrace and possibly a crime that the Netherlands is so high on that list <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also:

https://germanfoods.org/german-food-facts/german-cheese-and-dairy-guide/

QuoteGuide to German Cheese and Dairy Products
Smile and say "Käse" – All About German Cheese
Germany has a long tradition of cheese-making and because of its varying landscapes, methods of production and regional traditions, it boasts more than 600 different types of cheese. While 75% of Germany's cheeses are produced in Bavaria, the areas of Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg-West Pomerania and Saxony-Anhalt in the northern part of Germany also produce some of Germany's more famous cheeses such as Wilstermarsch, Tilsit and Altenburger Ziegenkäse (goat cheese).

The heart of German cheese making is the Allgäu, in the Alpine region of Southern Germany, where Germany's famous Allgäuer Emmentaler is made. Emmentaler is of course also known as Swiss cheese and the recipe was indeed imported from Switzerland. In 1821, Bavarian Elector Maximilian imported the skills of two Swiss master dairymen, who first introduced Emmentaler to the Allgäu.

Allgäu cheeses are made from the milk of soft brown Allgäu cattle grazing in the springtime meadows rich in alpine flowers. The milk is always high quality and plentiful, too, which explains why Bavaria has become Germany's most important milk and cheese region, producing more than 400 different cheeses.

Germany produces all types of cheeses, including Hard Cheese (Hartkäse), Semi-Hard Cheese (Schnittkäse), Semi-Soft Cheese (Halbfester Schnittkäse), Soft Cheese (Weichkäse) and Fresh Cheese (Frischkäse).

The article lists a number of German special cheeses, but obviously I have to root for the local boy:

QuoteWilstermarschkäse

Like Tilsiter, Wilstermarschkäse is said to have been first made by Dutch immigrants. It is made only in a dairy in Itzehoe, using whole or partially skimmed milk from the region. It is popular for breakfast and perfect for slicing, although sadly it is not easy to find. It has small holes and a light, tangy, sour flavor. Wilstermarschkäse is also known as Holsteinermarschkäse or just Marschkäse.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2021, 11:26:10 AM
It is a disgrace and possibly a crime that the Netherlands is so high on that list <_<
The land of cheese?
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

What's got you so cheesed off about Netherland cheese, Sheilbh?

I personally don't have a strong opinion on cheese from the Netherlands, but whenever I've passed through Schiphol the place seems positively overflowing with the stuff. I'm not surprised they rank so high.

Valmy

Really surprised we are so low on that list with our massive diary industry. Maybe we just don't export much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2021, 12:18:46 PM
Really surprised we are so low on that list with our massive diary industry. Maybe we just don't export much.
Yeah, I'm sure.  Who the hell craves American cheese?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2021, 12:18:46 PM

I'd say there's no "maybe" about it.