News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on July 20, 2021, 07:21:34 PM
Jeff Bezos now confirmed as pre-eminent passenger of planet Earth.

I know its in fashion to disguise envy as moralist concern for inequality and hate on these on-paper super rich people, but if I had that much money I would also totally build my own space ship.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2021, 03:21:13 AM

I know its in fashion to disguise envy as moralist concern for inequality and hate on these on-paper super rich people, but if I had that much money I would also totally build my own space ship.

This is an odd take.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2021, 03:23:25 AM

This is an odd take.

It is odd to consider this odd.

Josquius

It is strange that there are a lot of people getting really upset about these rocket launches and not the far more useless spending that the rich get up to every day.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Useless spending doesn't normally include carbon emissions in the upper atmosphere.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2021, 04:21:26 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2021, 03:23:25 AM

This is an odd take.

It is odd to consider this odd.

All the media seems to be sitting around breathless about Branson and Bezos going up into space for a 5-10 minute wank. Shouldn't be surprising then that people might push back against that, particularly during a pandemic where wealth inequality has only become more apparent to the general public.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2021, 05:29:19 AM
All the media seems to be sitting around breathless about Branson and Bezos going up into space for a 5-10 minute wank. Shouldn't be surprising then that people might push back against that, particularly during a pandemic where wealth inequality has only become more apparent to the general public.
What's also striking is the contrast of kind of breathless reporting in the media v public enthusiasm.

It's so different from what I sense was the mood about the actual space race. The BBC Archive Twitter was tweeting clips of Gargarin's visit to the UK - 50 years ago last month - and people were excited. That felt like us all/us socially or collectively moving forward. This doesn't.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Well, with Bezos the question is if he's compensating for something:

(Yes, I know the logo is a feather, but from afar .... :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Then there's the Bezos comment about this being thanks to all of Amazon's customers and employees. As if I needed more reasons to never order from them.

Savonarola

Tony Hawk's portrait in the National Portrait Gallery (from 1999, shortly after he did the 900 in competition.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 21, 2021, 05:50:10 AM
Then there's the Bezos comment about this being thanks to all of Amazon's customers and employees. As if I needed more reasons to never order from them.
That was so weird because he clearly meant it and seemed to think it would be sort of heartwarming or galvanising, but was so incredibly tone deaf.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

No issues with rich folks spending $$ on space exploration, but I think sheilbh is right that the Bezos and Branson ventures are just wasteful ways for rich people to blow their carbon budgets to hell, especially the Branson one.  Funny to say it but Elon Musk has taken the more responsible and so far more commercially successful approach.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 21, 2021, 09:50:25 AM
No issues with rich folks spending $$ on space exploration, but I think sheilbh is right that the Bezos and Branson ventures are just wasteful ways for rich people to blow their carbon budgets to hell, especially the Branson one.  Funny to say it but Elon Musk has taken the more responsible and so far more commercially successful approach.

That criticism is better suited to Virgin Galactic than Blue Horizon, which AFAIK is another commercial launch company like SpaceX, with Bezos' trip being a one off.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2021, 10:23:09 AM

That criticism is better suited to Virgin Galactic than Blue Horizon, which AFAIK is another commercial launch company like SpaceX, with Bezos' trip being a one off.

Bezo's trip wasn't a one-off.  There are two more Blue Origin space tourism launches scheduled for this year, and multiple launches per year for the foreseeable future.

BO does have some small NASA contracts ,but has lost out to SpaceX for the big ones, because SpaceX technology is just that much more advanced (SpaceX having spent a lot more money developing reliable and inexpensive hardware).  SpaceX's first civilian-manned flight will have a billionaire onboard, but it won't be a space tourism mission.

I'm not sure Blue Origin has a commercial path to success.  They've got a nice engine on the test stand, but they've never launched even an orbital mission, while SpaceX is already flying to the space station.  SpaceX crushed the competition for the new moon landing (BO didn't even make it past the technology risk assessment) and most of BO's moon mission subcontractors have departed for other work, so it is unlikely that BO can compete for further moon landing contracts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Yeah, the Branson and Bezos flights were the equivalent of a super Yacht being shown off - carbon emissions be damned.  No useful purpose other than stroking the owner's um ego.