News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 31, 2021, 06:46:08 PM
Welp, I've decided to cut cable. It's quite a step for me, I've had it my entire life.

There just needs to be a 'play some random shit in the background' button on Netflix that won't mess up your algorithm or show you something you actually want to watch then we're golden.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Tbf, none of those recommendation algorithms seems to work well for me. Can't remember ever watching something because it came up as a rec.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 31, 2021, 06:46:08 PM
Welp, I've decided to cut cable. It's quite a step for me, I've had it my entire life.

Oddly, I only briefly embraced cable for my first year in the UK but otherwise been free since I left home at 17.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2021, 05:19:38 AM
Tbf, none of those recommendation algorithms seems to work well for me. Can't remember ever watching something because it came up as a rec.

They're not particularly smart in the way spotify's are (that works very well I find). But they do pick up on obvious stuff that I watch, like "Look! New sci fi thing!"
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Yeah, I discovered lots of cool stuff through Spotify's recommendations. But it's easier to check out unknown 4-minute tracks than a movie or a show, I guess.

Tamas

Spotify seems to operate under "well he listened to a Hungarian rock song, this shitty 00s Hungarian pop song is the same language so its a match" so I am not finding it THAT useful :P But you can manage to find good stuff thanks to it.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2021, 05:37:51 AM
Spotify seems to operate under "well he listened to a Hungarian rock song, this shitty 00s Hungarian pop song is the same language so its a match" so I am not finding it THAT useful :P But you can manage to find good stuff thanks to it.
Maybe it just sucks with Hungarian?
I don't  particularly get j-pop recommendations despite listening to a fair bit of Japanese indie.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I don't use Spotify, I use Google Play Music Youtube music because it is pretty good at playing a constant mix of french & english songs (some spanish / dutch too) while also covering the multiple genres I like.

@Tyr Here, there's terrestrial channels for that random/background noise. My children are a little distraught since that messes up their morning school day routine but they'll figure it out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2021, 05:37:51 AM

I had that with Spotify's new decades playlist. My 90s list: Death, Metallica, Pantera, Accept, Megadeth, Judas Priest, G'n'R, R.E.M., Rammstein, Soundgarden, The Cure, etc. ... all good. But then in between all this: Gigi D'agostino and Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg, Kurupt, Nate Dogg :hmm: Not the worst songs, but a bit weird to sprinkle them in there. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Oh, my decades lists...

1970s - Bowie, The Who, Lou Reed - allright
1990s - Stone Roses, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, classic 1990s rock stuff - allright
2000s - White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, Modest mouse, Muse, tons of indie rock - allright
2010s - Eels and then bland Spanish pop, Despacito, reggaeton - WAT

Josquius

2010s-  Public Service Broadcasting, Fontaines DC, Idles, quite a lot I recognise... but also some stuff I don't know (Billy Nomates?) and some that I never listen to (Sam Fender...)
2000s- Arctic Monkeys, Libertines, Radiohead, Futureheads, The Coral... a bit better, only one or two odd choices scattered in.
1990s- Belle &  Sebastien, Pulp, Inspiral Carpets, Queen (err....), Manic Street Preachers... yeah. Like the 2000s.
1980s- Public Image Ltd, Queen, Sonic Youth, Iggy Pop, Pixies, Wedding Present... here its going a bit weirder. Though this is probably my least listened decade. Lately I've been playing a lot of Queen whilst my dad is over.
1970s- Iggy Pop, Joy Division, Elton John (never....), The Clash, Talking Heads... broadly back on track.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

1970s - Chaka Khan, David Bowie, Donna Summer, Minnie Riperton, T. Rex, Cher - Yep
1980s - Diana Ross, Stevie Nicks, The Smiths, Grace Jones, The Cure - Yep
1990s - No Doubt, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, TLC, The Cranberries - Yep
2000s - No Doubt, Kelly Rowland, Alanis Morrissette, Garbage, Madonna - Yep
2010s - Adele, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Allie X, Beyonce, MØ - Yep

So yeah, all checks out. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

How do you see your decades? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2021, 06:23:47 AM
How do you see your decades? :hmm:

In made for you, they have playlists showing decade mixes

celedhring

For some reason I don't have a 1980s list  :hmm: