News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 15, 2021, 09:38:46 AM
8th in line as well. Finally the Kind Hearts and Coronets - QAnon cross-over we've all been waiting for :o

Same guy points later that Boris is US-born and holds an US passport. The world needs a democratically elected personal union, I say.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2021, 10:04:32 AM
Except, whereas we've shown we're OK with a black president, the British will not accept a mullatto monarch.
Pretty sure the hate for Obama and insistence he wasn't a real American was far greater than the minority of nutters whinging about Megan being black.
Her being American is a bit more of an issue of course.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2021, 10:14:47 AM
Her being American is a bit more of an issue of course.
Not just American - Californian :o

I find the whole Meghan and Harry thing very weird. I have no issue whatsoever with her but it's going to take a lot for me to listen to the musings on privilege from a literal Prince who's been caught on tape making borderline homophobic and racist remarks (which he's never apologised for or acknowledged) and dressed up as a Nazi.

I find the whole "progressive prince" angle to Harry very difficult to take as a British republican.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Oy Americans- do you consider Sunday the first day of the week absolutely all the time as an absolute fact or is this up for debate?

No matter how many times I run into software doing this it always causes issues <_<
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2021, 11:04:45 AM
Oy Americans- do you consider Sunday the first day of the week absolutely all the time as an absolute fact or is this up for debate?

No matter how many times I run into software doing this it always causes issues <_<

Some places treat Monday as the start, some Saturday, some Sunday.  Sunday seems weird to me, like a compromise.

My instinct is that it starts on Monday.

Malthus

Canadian here - we usually refer to Monday as the start.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2021, 11:16:49 AM

Canadian here - we usually refer to Monday as the start.

:yes:

I didn't realize others thought it was otherwise.

HVC

In Portuguese Monday translates as second day (or more literally second fair)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2021, 11:28:07 AM
In Portuguese Monday translates as second day (or more literally second fair)

Yep, because its origin the liturgical week, hence Sunday being the first day of the week.
Outside of liturgical contexts however, Monday (Segunda Feira) is the first day of the week, since nowadays fim-de-semana (week-end) includes Saturday and Sunday.

PS: I blame Martin of Braga.

HVC

It used to mess me up as a kid. Since the "second day" was the first day of the week.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

I think we consider Sunday in some kind of official sense, but it is totally Monday for all real purposes.

Tamas

Monday is the first day of the week and if you disagree I don't think you are a Christian. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2021, 11:47:09 AM
Monday is the first day of the week and if you disagree I don't think you are a Christian. :P
Agreed.

And I find the idea that Saturday is the first day profoundly wrong and offensive <_<

Edit: I mean your week should build up to the excitement and indulgence of the weekend (not that The Weekend), not the working week :o :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Obviously Sunday is the first day of the week because it apparently fires up all the woke "week left"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM