News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 08, 2021, 08:35:22 AMEdit: Also the Greek and French and others just made me wonder if I get vaccines wrong and am some sort of prude - because my approach is the same as the Croation guy.

Yeah, a dress shirt is hardly the most practical attire to receive a vaccination. The Croatian guy's approach seems the most logical, wear something that can be rolled up.

Grey Fox

I still can't believe Fullsail University is real & not a scam by Dan Patrick.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on February 08, 2021, 08:49:15 AM
I don' think you can roll up a normal shirt high enough. So what stands out with somebody like the Greek guy is the need to do it without an undershirt on.

This Romanian politician has it figured out:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

That's a brilliant photoshop.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

:huh:

So the Hungarian Ambassador the Vatican (a Habsburg) posted a photo of the British Ambassador - and she explained that apparently it's one of three countries where the UK still wears the diplomatic uniform, complete with sabre and tricorner hat:

Apparently the other countries are Thailand and Spain - I have no idea why those three countries and I'm shocked that Japan isn't on the list. From looking at Wiki it seems that they are still in use in a fair few countries - they have recent examples from Sweden, Italy, Belgium and Russia. Very, very weird little 19/18th century holdover :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2021, 10:35:29 AM
That's a brilliant photoshop.

It's actually real. According to reddit the guy claimed that he has the shirt for when he was in a UN body and had to travel a lot and get many vaccinations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 08, 2021, 11:09:35 AMApparently the other countries are Thailand and Spain.

I had to take a look at that and the only picture I could find was this one, I guess when the ambassador had just been appointed and was introducing himself and presenting his credentials to the King. Weird holdover, yeah.

About not doing that in Japan, maybe there ambassadors don't get to meet the Emperor?  :hmm:

celedhring

Yeah, I've seen the British ambassadors wear that old school attire, but only in very formal events like introducing themselves to the King.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on February 08, 2021, 11:21:36 AM
Yeah, I've seen the British ambassadors wear that old school attire, but only in very formal events like introducing themselves to the King.
The UK diplomatic uniform is positively austere compared to the Italians - as you'd expect :lol:

I think it must be reserved for formal sort of "court" events. I'm just intrigued with why Spain but none of the other European monarchies and as I say, I'd expect this in Japan - but I think Larch could be right maybe Ambassadors don't get anywhere near the Emperor.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I guess the thing in Japan is Japan's weird setup with the monarchy. They're kind of not technically a constitutional monarchy with the monarch having zero even theoretical power, they're constitutionally completely powerless figureheads.

But Spain, Hungary, and Thailand is a weird grab-bag of countries.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2021, 11:32:56 AM
But Spain, Hungary, and Thailand is a weird grab-bag of countries.
Sorry not Hungary - the Vatican. The photo was taken by the Hungarian Ambassador.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Ah, makes more sense then.
I guess it must be something with the constitutional power of monarchs?
But then why not Muslim monarchs?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I mean why Spain and not Benelux or the Nordics? :hmm:

I've been left with many questions.
Let's bomb Russia!