Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2020, 12:08:00 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 18, 2020, 11:52:04 AM
Steak tartare exists, so eating raw beef must be ok.  :P

Apparently there's a Japanese dish that involves raw chicken. Now that feels weird...
Are you thinking of laab (I think it's called)?  IIRC it's from Laos.  I guess the Japanese could have their own raw chicken dish too... they certainly enjoy their raw seafood...  :D
I looked up the Japanese dish and they have a form of sashimi for chicken - again sourcing the chicken is key apparently.

QuoteYet pregnant women are still discouraged from eating it even nowadays.
Yeah I think 90% of it is higher food standards before it gets to the consume (i.e. no need to wash things in chlorine because it was healthy going in). But part of it is a higher European tolerance for risk if it's a "traditional" food/part of x regional culture and a lower chance of getting sued by someone.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Are you thinking of laab (I think it's called)?  IIRC it's from Laos.  I guess the Japanese could have their own raw chicken dish too... they certainly enjoy their raw seafood...  :D

In Vietnam it's called larb.  My Thai restaurant serves it too.  Didn't know it was raw.  I usually get the pork.

Syt

Speaking of questionable food:

I have not yet been able to independently verify it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 07:55:28 AM
I mean no-one's right twice :P

Edit: Although Scottish food does fit more into a peasant food v bourgeois/aristo food model (and arguably one of the most "imperial" bits of British food). Skirlie, cock-a-leekie, kippers, haggis, cullen skink, mince neeps and tattie - all off-cuts or preserved meats and oats and barley v scallops, venison, kedgeree, mulligatawny, grouse - all game/shellfish or dishes to give a reminder of India.

My favorite Scottish food anecdote ...

My friend, who is Scottish, had an item of furniture that he inherited from his grandmother. It was like a chest of drawers, but the top drawer was very strange - it was entirely lined with tin on the inside. The reason, allegedly, was that this was a "porridge drawer". Way it worked was that the family cooked up a large amount of porridge all at once, ate one meal of it, and poured the rest in the drawer, where it cooled down and was stored until they needed porridge again - just open the drawer, scoop, and serve cold. 

Reason for this was I think poverty - cooking it all at once saved fuel, the houses were apparently not heated much so no need to keep food refrigerated.

I have no idea if this was widespread or not.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2020, 11:42:48 AM

The powers that be still don't recommend eating raw pork at all.  It can contain the trichinella worm.  The incidence of which in pork has gone down a lot but still can't be ruled out.

really rare to get trichinella from pork in canada. i don't think its happened in decades. happens from game meat.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I don't think I would eat gyros prepared by Kronos.  :ph34r:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 12:10:05 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 18, 2020, 11:52:04 AM
Steak tartare exists, so eating raw beef must be ok.  :P

Apparently there's a Japanese dish that involves raw chicken. Now that feels weird...
I looked up the Japanese dish and they have a form of sashimi for chicken - again sourcing the chicken is key apparently.

Just checked it, it's called torisashi and is basically chicken sashimi, yeah, and sourced from chicken raised traditionally, not in an industrial fashion..

Doesn't look too appetizing anyway...

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2020, 02:29:59 PM
I don't think I would eat gyros prepared by Kronos.  :ph34r:

What's wrong with them?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2020, 07:32:47 AM
A huge fan of this (correct) hot take on Twitter:
QuoteAris Roussinos
@arisroussinos
The revulsion online Americans have for English food is a revulsion for a genuinely proletarian national cuisine: preserved at the precise moment England's rural bounty met the calorific needs of our industrial labour force, a Marxist moment frozen in time
:lol:

Contempt for Brits cooking keeps people together  :)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Americans make fun of British food?
I mean sure. The Italians I get. Their food is awesome. And the French. They hate everything.
But Americans?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on December 19, 2020, 03:20:15 AM
:lol: (And I'll have you know I make an outstanding paella and a very good arroz negro too :P)

This reminds me of one of my favourite Twitter accounts: Italians Mad at Food:
https://twitter.com/ItalianComments
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 19, 2020, 07:08:34 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 19, 2020, 03:20:15 AM
:lol: (And I'll have you know I make an outstanding paella and a very good arroz negro too :P)

This reminds me of one of my favourite Twitter accounts: Italians Mad at Food:
https://twitter.com/ItalianComments

There's a somewhat famous older Australian Youtuber who makes homemade cheese. A running meme is that whenever he makes an Italian cheese he he's a bunch of frenzied angry replies from Italians how he's doing it wrong. He recently got a cease and desist letter from a Italian Protected designation of origin organization before public pressure got them to rescind it lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.