Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2018, 07:30:05 AM
Internet is shit at my new apartment. <_<

So an all-round improvement, especially for us.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Relative to Korea or RotW?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

You should have read the fine print in your lease agreement.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 03, 2018, 07:18:16 PM
Yesterday in the United States was Groundhog's Day.  I learned VOA's Spanish Language podcast that it's El Día de la Marmota in Spanish.  ¡Viva la Marmota!

Very close to the French marmotte. :)
Though the French title of the movie is not a translation, but an adaptation bordering on spoiler.  :D

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 04, 2018, 01:57:08 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 03, 2018, 07:18:16 PM
Yesterday in the United States was Groundhog's Day.  I learned VOA's Spanish Language podcast that it's El Día de la Marmota in Spanish.  ¡Viva la Marmota!

Very close to the French marmotte. :)
Though the French title of the movie is not a translation, but an adaptation bordering on spoiler.  :D

In (US) English we use the word "Marmot" for every species of marmot except groundhogs.  (I'm guessing because they're so prevalent in the eastern part of North America and Great Britain doesn't have marmots.  I assume that's why they're also called woodchucks or whistling pigs; due to regional variations.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

What's the deal with brunch?
"Brunching" seems to have become this whole thing, more than just having a late breakfast. People speak of being fans of it, despite it being just a meal.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2018, 02:21:12 AM
"Brunching" seems to have become this whole thing, more than just having a late breakfast. People speak of being fans of it, despite it being just a meal.

For some people it's a social occasion.

You get to sleep in late. Then you go to some place - out - where you sit down with friends. These may be friends you haven't seen for a while. Alternately, these were the friends you were out getting drunk with last night, and you dissect what exactly went down. Or they could be friends who've become your brunch buddies. The food is potentially less healthy and/ or more fancy than your normal fare. You probably spend a longer time eating and chatting than you normally spend on breakfast or lunch on the weekday. After brunch it's probably still early enough that the day is not completely wasted, but you got a slow enough start that it felt indulgent. You may

In short, for people who are "into brunch" it's a mini social occasion and/ or a mental micro-vacation.

Monoriu

In Hong Kong, "brunch" increasingly means a lavish meal, often buffet or half-buffet style, offered by high end restaurants or hotels on Sundays.  There is usually more food than the people can eat, "free flow" of wine and champagne, expensive food ingredients, etc. 

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2018, 02:33:48 AM

For some people it's a social occasion.

You get to sleep in late. Then you go to some place - out - where you sit down with friends. These may be friends you haven't seen for a while. Alternately, these were the friends you were out getting drunk with last night, and you dissect what exactly went down. Or they could be friends who've become your brunch buddies. The food is potentially less healthy and/ or more fancy than your normal fare. You probably spend a longer time eating and chatting than you normally spend on breakfast or lunch on the weekday. After brunch it's probably still early enough that the day is not completely wasted, but you got a slow enough start that it felt indulgent. You may

In short, for people who are "into brunch" it's a mini social occasion and/ or a mental micro-vacation.

How in such a detailed post did you miss a key part? Day drinking. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Aside from the obvious missing Bloody Mary, Jacob pretty much covered it Squeeze.  It's a nice way IMO to downshift from a weekend of partying back to weekday serious.

garbon

Also key is that it shouldn't actually occur before noon, despite what the term would suggest.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Oh, and I'd say Sunday dim sum is a nice variant on the brunch theme too.

Josquius

What's wrong with regular Sunday drinking at the pub?
Why does having toast make it better?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 04, 2018, 03:21:18 PM
In (US) English we use the word "Marmot" for every species of marmot except groundhogs.  (I'm guessing because they're so prevalent in the eastern part of North America and Great Britain doesn't have marmots.  I assume that's why they're also called woodchucks or whistling pigs; due to regional variations.)

:thumbsup:

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2018, 06:28:03 AM
What's wrong with regular Sunday drinking at the pub?
Why does having toast make it better?

Not really an American thing.