Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on August 30, 2017, 08:17:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2017, 04:27:29 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 30, 2017, 04:16:40 PM
They're horrible. They're like toy money.
Plus Churchill. Really not the face modern Britain should be putting forward :x

You're really just a terrible person aren't you Tyr.

Who doesn't like Churchill???

Churchill has plenty to dislike.

There's a very good chance that tyr doesn't share the same reasons as other people who dislike Churchill.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Tyr barely shares the same basic understanding of reality as other people, so that seems fair.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

OMG I LOVE THEM EVEN MORE NOW
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on August 30, 2017, 08:17:31 PM

Churchill has plenty to dislike.

Oh I know - he had a complicated life with lots of ups and downs.

But his finest hour was WWII.  I still cannot see how anyone, while acknowledging his flaws, would dislike Churchill.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2017, 09:40:28 PM

But his finest hour was WWII.  I still cannot see how anyone, while acknowledging his flaws, would dislike Churchill.

I don't think Hitler was a fan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on August 30, 2017, 10:02:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2017, 09:40:28 PM

I don't think Hitler was a fan.

Reductio ad hitlerum.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2017, 02:13:14 PM
I say we do the old German Dooshmark thing, where the bigger the denomination the bigger the bill.  $1,000 bill = 11" x 17" landscape

Korean money works like that too, so blind people can handle it. The bills are different colors too.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Indians.
Bangladeshis.
Australians.
Irish.

Scratch beneath the shallow popular image and he is quite a dastardly figure.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Reading the first volume of his biography sure deepens the picture about him: he was recklessly ambitious and one must realise that while he was a great orator, a lot of his famous phrases had probably way more to do with his short-term political interests than any deep-rooted beliefs.

On the other hand, he was truly a statesman, and it would be a bit foolish to consider personal ambition as a vice in political leaders, as they would never get even close to leadership without a considerable drive of personal ambition and glory-seeking. It's just how it works.

Josquius

Which gives some credence to the conspiracy theories that his radically anti Indian stance in the 30s was just part of him trying to set himself up as a natural fascist leader for the UK.

He was probably just a natural racist though. Even by the standards of the time.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

So did he close some coal mines or what?  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on August 30, 2017, 08:32:57 PM
Tyr barely shares the same basic understanding of reality as other people, so that seems fair.

Wow you are not kidding.

QuoteWhich gives some credence to the conspiracy theories that his radically anti Indian stance in the 30s was just part of him trying to set himself up as a natural fascist leader for the UK.

:lmfao:

Well that is a new one.

QuoteHe was probably just a natural racist though. Even by the standards of the time.

I have no idea what this means.

Anyway they should have Nigel Farage on all the bills, he is the true face of modern Britain not Churchill.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2017, 08:32:45 AM
Well that is a new one.

Always good to expand your horizons :hug:

QuoteHe was probably just a natural racist though. Even by the standards of the time.
I have no idea what this means.

That Churchill was more racist than average for the time, and that that racism was genuinely held rather than a pose for political expedience. Personally I have no opinion on the matter, but Tyr's post doesn't seem that hard to parse.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on August 31, 2017, 09:46:18 AM
Always good to expand your horizons :hug:

If you say so. I think bad information and conspiracy theories shrink your horizons, not expand them.

That Churchill was more racist than average for the time, and that that racism was genuinely held rather than a pose for political expedience. Personally I have no opinion on the matter, but Tyr's post doesn't seem that hard to parse.

That would have made sense. The 'just a natural racist' was the part I did not understand.

I have heard many Churchill speeches and read lots of him and I don't get the 'OMG this guy is a raging white supremacist that dwarfs everybody else in the era from 1890-1960' but I admit my knowledge is not unlimited. But Churchill did have a bad habit of going on late night benders and then writing crazy shit that his staff would then have to go edit out later so probably some great racist shit there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on August 31, 2017, 03:56:47 AM
Reading the first volume of his biography sure deepens the picture about him: he was recklessly ambitious and one must realise that while he was a great orator, a lot of his famous phrases had probably way more to do with his short-term political interests than any deep-rooted beliefs.

Well he was manic depressive wasn't he? He just couldn't stop himself.