News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Burr played one of Saul's guys in Breaking Bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Liep

'Post-truth' is Oxford Dictionary's word of the year. "an adjective relating to circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than emotional appeals."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37995600

Contenders:

Adulting - The practice of behaving in a way characteristic of a responsible adult, especially the accomplishment of mundane but necessary tasks
Alt-right - An ideological grouping associated with extreme conservative or reactionary viewpoints, characterized by a rejection of mainstream politics and by the use of online media to disseminate deliberately controversial content
Brexiteer - A person who is in favour of the UK withdrawing from the European Union
Chatbot - A computer program designed to simulate conversation with human users, especially over the internet
Coulrophobia - Extreme or irrational fear of clowns
Glass cliff - Used with reference to a situation in which a woman or member of a minority group ascends to a leadership position in challenging circumstances where the risk of failure is high
Hygge - A quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being, regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture
Latinx - A person of Latin American origin or descent, used as a gender-neutral or non-binary alternative to Latino or Latina
Woke - Originally in African-American usage meaning alert to injustice in society, especially racism
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2016, 08:16:12 AM
What's up with hygge?

Well it's your new country that's so fixated on it so you tell me. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Liep on November 16, 2016, 08:21:32 AM
What's up with hygge?

Google suggests it is something that rose to prominence in the past month. Doesn't seem like word of the year material. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

What's up with hygge?

In civilized countries it means a patch of forest that has been cut down.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Grammatical gender - why?
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on November 17, 2016, 07:12:35 AM
Grammatical gender - why?

Good question. Ours serve merely to confuse non-natives and to create arguments when a new word is placed in either gender.

Gups

Quote from: Liep on November 16, 2016, 08:21:32 AM
What's up with hygge?

I only heard of it a couple of weeks ago but now seem to see the word everywhere.

Ed Anger

I'm thinking of getting a Bentley.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

What, too cheap for the import tax for a Citroën?  Fucking faggot.