News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: katmai on August 18, 2016, 12:57:34 AM
He was the uncle to my cousins who i grew up with under the same roof.
He teased me years ago when told him I wanted to play Football at University of Hawaii.

Incredible - what a small world!
Last time I saw him was at the Iridium with a sextet lineup - IIRC Rene Rosnes was on piano.
Lots of guys do the 4 mallets now but no one could match him.  Such extraordinary skill and precision.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

I went to a Catholic mass today.  People did a lot of bowing.  Never saw that before.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2016, 12:23:04 PM
I went to a Catholic mass today.  People did a lot of bowing.  Never saw that before.

Don't forget the kneeling!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Sounds very traditionalist.
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2016, 09:12:54 AM
Quote from: sbr on August 17, 2016, 02:36:41 PM
I'm doing a job at a children's hospital, and just saw a very cute, tiny (maybe 1 year old) little girl learning to drive a motorized wheelchair.  It was both one of the most adorable and heartbreaking things I have ever seen.  :(

:weep:

What sort of job are you doing? You are a good man sbr.

I don't work for the hospital I'm just  an electrician, an outside contractor. 

I could never do what these people here do every day.  Just walking down the corridor and trying to blend in and ignore everything I see ruins me for the day; I can't imagine being face first in sick/crippled (is that still a word we can use?) and dying children all day every day and being able to live a normal life away from work.

I am so glad that there are people who can and do do it and extremely thankful that my daughters were very healthy and I never needed to see the inner workings of a place like this as anything other than an outsider.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2016, 12:24:41 PM

Don't forget the kneeling!

There was no kneeling.  Just a bit of bowing.

Also, my wife refused to go up for communion because she said she had to do confession first (not that she was particularly interested in doing either).  Apparently that's an Argentine thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Wow. Huh. A Catholic Mass with no kneeling? It must be some sort of pre-Vatican II thing. Was it in Latin?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on August 18, 2016, 01:00:52 PM
Also, my wife refused to go up for communion because she said she had to do confession first (not that she was particularly interested in doing either).  Apparently that's an Argentine thing.
Not just Argentine. You can only take communion in a state of grace, taking it when you're not in a state of grace is a mortal sin. Most people don't take it fully seriously.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on August 18, 2016, 01:14:40 PM
Fucking Protty Speiss.

Better a Protestant than a papist dog. :blurgh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2016, 01:26:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2016, 01:19:38 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 18, 2016, 01:14:40 PM
Fucking Protty Speiss.

Better a Protestant than a papist dog. :blurgh:
False :x

Maybe back when Catholic churches kept it mystical with the use of Latin it was false, but now that they've gone downmarket - just sad sacks trying Protestant routines.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2016, 01:08:51 PM
Wow. Huh. A Catholic Mass with no kneeling? It must be some sort of pre-Vatican II thing. Was it in Latin?

Nope.