And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

PDH

Mine said MB was Hitler.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Buying a train ticket in Italy.
Press the English language button on the machine ; the machine shouts out an unskippable message "BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS IN THIS AREA" thus alerting said pickpockets to your tourist status.
Good job Italian designers !
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2016, 01:20:05 AM
Press the English language button on the machine ; the machine shouts out an unskippable message "BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS IN THIS AREA" thus alerting said pickpockets to your tourist status.

How do you know the same message isn't given in Italian too?

The Larch

I've just opened for my lunch a jar of pesto sauce that I got from an OXFAM shop. Reading the ingredients they seem to have been chosen with maximum saintliness/snobbishness in mind. The olive oil is from a Palestinian co-op, the nuts are fair trade cashews from Guinea-Bissau and India and the basil is Genoese and of a protected variety. It tastes heavenly.  :mmm:

lustindarkness

:unsure: Hopefully not for one of the two trains that crashed head on. :o  :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2016, 08:05:03 AM

How do you know the same message isn't given in Italian too?

The machine doesn't have arms?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

QuoteThe Irish economy grew by a colossal 26.3 per cent in 2015 rather than the original 7.8 per cent estimate, the Central Statistics Office (CSO) has confirmed.
The revised growth rate, the strongest on record, reflects a 102 per cent spike in net exports.
However, the figures appear to have been hugely affected by a number of once-off factors, including activity in the aircraft leasing sector and restructuring by multinational companies involving the movement of patents.
A handful of firms in the tech sector relocated their IP assets here amid the international clampdown on the tax avoidance.
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/economy-grows-by-26-3-in-2015-says-cso-1.2719047

If you can relocate assets and thereby supposedly add value, I suggest that the measure is broken.

The Larch

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

HVC

How small is their economy that some planes and patents would have that effect?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 12, 2016, 11:40:39 AM

Well do have the same population as Dallas. Though I doubt Dallas getting some planes and patents would boost its economy by that much :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on July 12, 2016, 11:40:39 AM

Their population is less than 5 million people and they have a huge amount of corporate offices, as they have operated as some sort of tolerated fiscal paradise inside the EU for private companies, plus they are also home to Ryanair, which I guess was the source of those plane leases, so a few big movements can create big sways in oficial data, I guess.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on July 12, 2016, 12:41:17 PM
:XD: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/07/12/holocaust-museum-to-visitors-please-stop-catching-pokemon-here/

http://cheezburger.com/8820376064/nintendo-video-game-coverage-pokemon-go-koffing-inside-holocaust-museum

QuoteOne image circulating online appears to show a player encountering an unsettling digital critter inside the museum: a Pokémon called Koffing that emits poisonous gas floating by a sign for the museum's Helena Rubinstein Auditorium. The auditorium shows the testimonials of Jews who survived the gas chambers.

:XD: :XD: :XD:

Valmy

But...but...gotta catch them all!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."