News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I think we've missed the most important aspect of Xi's visit to the UK. Jackie Chan is in London! Why did no-one tell me?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3282469/Kate-Middleton-Prince-William-meet-Jackie-Chan-Chinese-president-Xi-Jinping.html

Admiral Yi

Bill Gates' first job was writing code for the Bonneville Power Administration at age 16.

Razgovory

My purchase history on Amazon results in a weird array of ads.  Book on Applied physics, underwear, canes, Spanish language lessons, stun guns...  When you step back and look at all together, it could be a bit worrying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Has anyone ever visited "iffy " countries?
I note that flights to Morocco are very cheap. Israel isn't much either. The fear of Islamofascists looms large however.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

How iffy?

The iffiest I've done was former yugo.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2015, 02:23:26 AM
I note that flights to Morocco are very cheap. Israel isn't much either. The fear of Islamofascists looms large however.

A colleague spent three weeks with her boyfriend and two more friends driving through Morocco in an old VW bus two years ago. They had a great time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Qwertee had this motive yesterday:

:D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Morocco is pretty safe, actually. I visited several years ago when a friend was working in Casablanca, lots of cool places to visit.

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2015, 02:23:26 AM

I worked for a season on an archaeological dig in Israel, and on weekends travelled around the country. That was a long time ago, though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

QuoteIn the US, president Teddy Roosevelt had his family crest tattooed on his chest, and Anna Friedman mentions two other tattooed presidents in her blog: James Polk who supposedly had a tattoo of a Chinese character meaning "eager", and Andrew Jackson who was said to have a tomahawk inked on his thigh.

That silly custom goes back farther than I thought.  :hmm:

Taken from story about Canadian pm's tattoo. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34585178
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on October 22, 2015, 06:32:17 AM
Morocco is pretty safe, actually. I visited several years ago when a friend was working in Casablanca, lots of cool places to visit.
A lot has happened in several years though. The recent state of things in the Arab world...
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2015, 08:34:05 AM
A lot has happened in several years though. The recent state of things in the Arab world...

Morocco was pretty quiet during the Arab spring. Seriously, it's a safe place to visit, as long as you don't do anything stupid.

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2015, 08:34:05 AM

I was in Morocco during the Arab Spring and the start of civil war in Libya.  It was perfectly safe.  Political Islam hasn't been much of a thing there since the French left.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Random trip to Marakesh it is then.
Though I think I really should convince my American friend to go with me. That way if something goes down I throw her to the wolves and run like hell.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2015, 09:32:22 AM
Random trip to Marakesh it is then.
Though I think I really should convince my American friend to go with me. That way if something goes down I throw her to the wolves and run like hell.

Don't you know Josq's riding on the Marrakesh Express

I've taken the line the other way to Fez.  They don't actually allow Ducks and Pigs and Chickens on the train anymore.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock