News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 27, 2015, 01:32:10 AM
I got to inquire, has facebook devolved into nothing but stupid memes?

I really hate the word "meme".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2015, 09:24:21 PM

Trope is another one, as is swath or swathe, grossly overused.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2015, 09:08:57 PM
Quote from: Liep on September 27, 2015, 08:43:12 PM
I can't see the moon from my window. Is this super blood moon worth going out in the cold for?

It's pretty cool looking.

:(
Fell asleep around 1.30, got up at 4.30, went out to see eclipse, didn't see it because of clouds, couldn't sleep again, boring meetings all day until 6.30, this is going to be bad.

crazy canuck

We had a perfect evening for it.  Not a cloud in the sky. The eclipse happened here at sunset.  Mrs. CC and I went to the beach to watch both the sunset and the eclipse. It was a relatively warm evening with no wind.  Quite nice.

DGuller

:mad: It was 100% cloud cover over here.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

R.I.P. Log Lady from Twin Peaks. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Do NOT burn yourself on molten candy. Good lord that is some intense pain.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 28, 2015, 12:22:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2015, 09:24:21 PM

Trope is another one, as is swath or swathe, grossly overused.

At least "trope" isn't a word masquerading as scientific theory.  It's like phrenology for the modern day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Actually it is not.  Since "memes", don't actually exist, it can't be a meme.  If you say "I am an elephant", this does not make you an elephant.  It simply makes you wrong.  If you have any questions take it up with latest issue of "The Journal of Memetics".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2015, 10:55:38 PM
Actually it is not.  Since "memes", don't actually exist, it can't be a meme.  If you say "I am an elephant", this does not make you an elephant.  It simply makes you wrong.  If you have any questions take it up with latest issue of "The Journal of Memetics".

Memes exist as much as phrases or sayings or sentences. "I am an elephant" may be factually untrue, but it is a sentence and could become a meme.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 28, 2015, 11:01:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 28, 2015, 10:55:38 PM

Memes exist as much as phrases or sayings or sentences. "I am an elephant" may be factually untrue, but it is a sentence and could become a meme.

No, Memes don't exist.  The theory is that "memes" are ideas that self-replicate and evolve.  It's analogy to biological evolution pretending to be a science.  The theory has been kicking around for about forty years, but never got anywhere.  It gained popularity with the Dawkinite crowd, and has since spread like lice.  Attempts to take it seriously have met with failure as with the aforementioned "Journal of Memetics", a peer reviewed publication that renounced the idea ten years ago and closed up shop.  Admittedly it's still used by idiots, but then so are ionic bracelets.

garbon

So what would you prefer it be called when there is something that is slightly odd, that a large group of people treat sort of as an in-joke for a while until it gets stale?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.