News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Why would you want to undo that stereotype? It looks lovely.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on June 08, 2015, 06:28:21 AM

It's not representative of 90% of the country. Hell, many people would contend it's even part of Germany. It's like equating every American to the worst cliché of Texans.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on June 08, 2015, 06:32:42 AM
equating every American to the worst cliché of Texans.

That's pretty much what I do. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

What's worse, I missed Sausage Fest on Saturday:

https://www.facebook.com/events/814772401911946/

QuoteIt's family business! Beefy celebrates it's American-Italian heritage and presents us a taste of home:

Fresh, home-made italian sausage, marinara sauce, fine cheese, roasted bell peppers on a toasty bun.

This flavor brings out Beefy's best memories of childhood. You can't miss it!

Get Beefy!

:(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Better equate Germany to Bavaria than say Prussia, or some East German industrial wasteland, full of stalinist architecture.

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 08, 2015, 06:55:22 AM
Better equate Germany to Bavaria than say Prussia, or some East German industrial wasteland, full of stalinist architecture.

:yes: Also Bavaria is the only place in Germany I've visited besides Berlin, so it's easier.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on June 08, 2015, 06:28:21 AM

It's not representative of 90% of the country. Hell, many people would contend it's even part of Germany. It's like equating every American to the worst cliché of Texans.

Better than equating Germany to Nazis, which is what we do the rest of the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The rest of Germany is Sprockets.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

The grandson of Paul Tibbets took command of the 509th bomb wing. :nukeboner:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

BUT IT'S FUN.  Geez...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Merkel's famous hand gesture:

—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 08, 2015, 12:30:58 AM
If I thought I could get leave during that time, I'd totally be down.

There are also some really good, less dramatic hikes in the Olympic mountains...The Brothers is a popular one (don't try to pet the mountain goats...they can kill).  http://www.summitpost.org/the-brothers/517714

Or check out some of the hikes along the coast (Shi-Shi beach, for example).  No elevation gain, but still awesome.

Check out this site for other leads...

www.wta.org

Thanks Toni. The mountain goats look cool.

I'm leaning toward St Helens--that combines interesting history with an interesting hike with an interesting geological feature. It should make for a cool story. But if I can't get the permits, it seems there are lots of other options.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

http://www.theonion.com/americanvoices/walmart-allowing-employees-wear-denim-raise-spirit-50584

QuoteWalmart Allowing Employees To Wear Denim To Raise Spirits

In an effort to raise the spirits of employees who have made complaints about low pay and the lack of flexible hours, Walmart has announced it will relax its dress code to allow employees to wear black or blue denim in addition to black or blue khakis. What do you think?

"I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't feel like I'm in some sort of rock and roll club."

"Whenever I feel down about being trapped in a cycle of poverty, I just throw on my favorite Levi's."

"Typical Walmart. Always throwing denim at the problem."

:)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

My kid's tadpole-raising project is reaching its end - two of the little creatures have grown legs and are crawling out on a rock inside their aquarium.

In honor of that transformation, I played ZZ Top's "Legs" on the iphone. Seemed appropriate somehow.  :P

QuoteShe's got legs, she knows how to use them.
She never begs, she knows how to choose them.
She's holdin' leg wonderin' how to feel them.
Would you get behind them if you could only find them?
She's my baby, she's my baby,
yeah, it's alright.

Works better for tadpole development than for humans.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius