News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on January 05, 2015, 09:46:03 AM
Never write up a contract without having your lawyers comb through it.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Just read that the Book of Pluscarden refers to David II of Scotland as 'fornicator publicus' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Brazen

Do we have any current or former Navy personnel on here, nationality unimportant, or does anyone have any suitable contacts? I'm writing a feature about ship-board entertainment on long missions.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on January 05, 2015, 11:58:54 AM
Do we have any current or former Navy personnel on here, nationality unimportant, or does anyone have any suitable contacts? I'm writing a feature about ship-board entertainment on long missions.

Send PMs to grumbler and AnchorClanker.

grumbler should know a little something about shipboard entertainment. <insert age joke here + plus reference to triremes>

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2015, 12:10:11 PM

Send PMs to grumbler and AnchorClanker.

grumbler should know a little something about shipboard entertainment. <insert age joke here + plus reference to triremes>
:thumbsup:

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2015, 10:59:26 AM
Just read that the Book of Pluscarden refers to David II of Scotland as 'fornicator publicus' :lol:

'Charles II: the father of his country (or at least, a good percentage of it)'.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Never been onboard a ship for a long time. As a reservist my long term deployments have been to the desert. Onboard entertainment will vary greatly on the ship and internet access, but I'm sure most boils down to working out, watching movies, reading, playing cards and such.

Now, if you want, we can go on a cruise and I will entertain you. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadBurgerMaker

We had three AFN channels then onboard movies for our underway entertainment.  Well, that and smoking shitloads of cigarettes or PT (when stuff isn't moving around too much), or cards or whatever like Ank mentioned.

E: This wasn't on a ship that stayed out for super long periods of time.  Ships like carriers might have more stuff for their people to do.  Longest we were ever underway was the weird time we went from Yokohama to the area just to the north of Darwin for an UNREP then back to Yokohama.  Maybe two weeks?  Something like that.  Supply ships are pretty pointless if they don't have supplies on board, so they stop a lot.  ;)

Liep

Netflix is apparently banning VPN services so Europeans can't access the American version, if they do that there's no longer any reason to have Netflix as the Danish version is practically empty.

:(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on January 05, 2015, 01:17:35 PM
Netflix is apparently banning VPN services so Europeans can't access the American version, if they do that there's no longer any reason to have Netflix as the Danish version is practically empty.

A lot of Canadian subscribers use VPN as well.

I wonder if Netflix is doing that in response to local regulators because it is going to cost Netflix a lot more to buy the rights to that content in each individual jurisdiction.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2015, 01:27:03 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 05, 2015, 01:17:35 PM

A lot of Canadian subscribers use VPN as well.

I wonder if Netflix is doing that in response to local regulators because it is going to cost Netflix a lot more to buy the rights to that content in each individual jurisdiction.

Yeah - it seems as if Netflix really doesn't care.  We've had two Netflix shows going at the same time, one accessing Canadian Netflix, one accessing the American one.

But maybe that's changing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

It is inevitable.

Netflix sees is non-US business as practically gifting their service unto us, savages.

Netflix will soon be empty of content in Canada with the launch of Shomi & CraveTV. RoBellUS will not share their digital rights.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

It's illegal for Netflix to provide content to a country where it doesn't own the rights for it, I guess so far they excused themselves with "it's not our fault if our users circumvent the rules", but that probably doesn't work anymore.

Eddie Teach

Is it common for separate entities to own the rights for a movie in separate countries? I mean if it's say MGM and they're trying to hit Netflix up for showing one of its movies in each country, Netflix could decline and demand a worldwide bulk rate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?