And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2014, 10:42:20 AM
That is a normal Saturday night for me

I though that only happened when you contemplated the war in Iraq.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

The Neurontin for the nerve pain gives me a freaky sex drive. Rare side effect my ass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Still, what I find funny about U.S. prescription commercials is that it's ten seconds about the product's benefits, and then 20 seconds, in a speed that would do auctioneers proud, about everything that can go wrong with it.  :lol:

Germany only has TV ads for non-prescription medicine, and it always comes with the standard disclaimer: "To learn about risks and side effects, please check the accompanying documentation and ask your doctor or pharmacist."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2014, 10:56:47 AM
The Neurontin for the nerve pain gives me a freaky sex drive. Rare side effect my ass.

I had an issue with that with the Chantix.  :lol:  Like it needed to be freakier.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2014, 10:54:43 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2014, 10:42:20 AM
That is a normal Saturday night for me

I though that only happened when you contemplated the war in Iraq.  ;)

Isnt that Ed's normal?

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2014, 11:18:00 PM
Also, enjoyed researching all the different territorial borders over the years and the etymology of state/province names.

Timmy,

If you want an ahistorical border for Georgia, take it all the way to the Mississippi River (claims to that land were only ceded in exchange for the federal government taking responsibility for the Yazoo land scandal), and run it down to the coast (also giving you an ahistorical Louisiana border).

Also, the horizontal border you did between Mississippi and Alabama is a bit absurd, since the whole reason Mississippi and Alabama are split in such an odd way is so both states have coastal access.

alfred russel

Why not make all the states names in pig latin, in the alternate history where Animal Farm came sort of true and pigs took over the country, speaking latin as their lingua franca?

Or in a bit more far fetched scenario, put all the states names in Spanish, reflecting the alternate timeline where Mexico prevailed in the Mexican War.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Don't think we've had this one yet, even though it's from 2012:

Savonarola

Quote from: Maladict on October 28, 2014, 01:47:46 PM

All hail the polyglotinous Luxembourgers!

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on October 28, 2014, 01:47:46 PM

Ah, Eurabia.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I had a weird night last night.  We were having dinner at Chefs de France at Epcot with one of Princesca's co-workers who is here on business, and we happened to be seated next to a guy who is a Disney recruiter and halfway through the meal he started trying to recruit us.  The problem is that he is a custodian recruiter so he really didn't know what to say to us to try to get us interested in working there. :D

After we left we happened to stumble right into a Wilson Phillips concert.  They still sound really good, surprisingly!  Carnie is back to being fat  :(  but the other two are still hot as hell.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

How was the Craft Beer Pavilion?  And what did you have?  :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Median number of languages spoken by Americans: 0.7
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Here I thought the Portuguese spoke multiple languages.  Can we have a soda map of Europe for each language in every country?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2014, 02:05:42 PM
How was the Craft Beer Pavilion?  And what did you have?  :)
HA, nothing.  It was all shit from like Sierra Nevada and Magic Hat.  I was expecting it to be weird crap.  I met up with my cousin and his wife there and then we immediately split.

Because of the festival they have booths and larger 'areas' for more countries than usual, and I had a lamb meatball in a puff pastry from New Zealand. :cool:  There's a huge section for Brazil and I'll probably eat lunch there in a day or two.  Given the big Brazil area and the fact that there are always tons of Brazilians here now, methinks it's obvious what the next expansion country at Epcot will be...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points