And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 27, 2014, 07:45:53 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 27, 2014, 06:06:13 PM
AstraZenica is advertising a diabetes pill that removes sugar from your bloodstream.

Eat your cake and don't get fat.

Are you talking about Farxiga?  The side effects sound fun.

Meh, what doesn't have a fun list of side effects?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

The KHM is hosting a Velazquez exhibition which was opened yesterday by Queen Latifa Letitia. Several paintings from the Prado are on display which are normally not permitted to travel. I will try to see it this weekend. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 27, 2014, 07:51:31 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 27, 2014, 07:45:53 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 27, 2014, 06:06:13 PM
AstraZenica is advertising a diabetes pill that removes sugar from your bloodstream.

Eat your cake and don't get fat.

Are you talking about Farxiga?  The side effects sound fun.

Meh, what doesn't have a fun list of side effects?

I love watching US drug ads.  :D

"May cause some anal prolapse and tentacle growth ..." [While billowing drapes blow across a scene of ballerinas happily dancing over fields of flowers]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2014, 07:47:38 AM

"May cause some anal prolapse and tentacle growth ..." [While billowing drapes blow across a scene of ballerinas happily dancing over fields of flowers]

To be fair, if everyone marketing products you ingest has to add side effects in the same manner as drug companies, you would never eat or drink anything. :P

Malthus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 28, 2014, 09:34:17 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2014, 07:47:38 AM

To be fair, if everyone marketing products you ingest has to add side effects in the same manner as drug companies, you would never eat or drink anything. :P

Comming from a place that lacks prescription drug ads, the whole concept seems bizzare.

'Let's convince you, who are largely ignorant of medical matters, to pressure your doctor into prescribing our drug over our competitors' with a 30 second TV ad'
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2014, 09:39:48 AM
Comming from a place that lacks prescription drug ads, the whole concept seems bizzare.

'Let's convince you, who are largely ignorant of medical matters, to pressure your doctor into prescribing our drug over our competitors' with a 30 second TV ad'

I've recently seen ads on TV for drugs to help blind people cope with circadian rhythm disruptions.  :D

So I assume the ads are really targeting family members of those who are blind. There are a few times I've asked a doctor for a prescription (propecia   :cry:, high altitude drugs) that he wouldn't have given me otherwise. The high altitude drugs are a miracle drug, unfortunately the propecia is something short of that.  :cry: :cry: :cry:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2014, 09:51:05 AM(propecia   :cry:

QuoteLess serious Propecia side effects may include:

impotence, loss of interest in sex, or trouble having an orgasm;
    abnormal ejaculation;
    swelling in your hands or feet;
    swelling or tenderness in your breasts;
    dizziness, weakness;
    feeling like you might pass out;
    headache;
    runny nose; or
    skin rash.

What do they consider an "abnormal ejaculation"? :unsure:  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2014, 09:51:05 AM
I've recently seen ads on TV for drugs to help blind people cope with circadian rhythm disruptions.  :D

I've heard them on the radio, which I'm assuming, is targeting blind people.
Blind? Can't sleep?

garbon

But that's not the point. It is more about triggering awareness and then people will go and read up about the product. Of course for drugs, I think print ads make more sense than commercials which are generally so vague that it isn't always clear what the medications are actually for.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2014, 10:04:25 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2014, 09:51:05 AM(propecia   :cry:

QuoteLess serious Propecia side effects may include:

impotence, loss of interest in sex, or trouble having an orgasm;
    abnormal ejaculation;
    swelling in your hands or feet;
    swelling or tenderness in your breasts;
    dizziness, weakness;
    feeling like you might pass out;
    headache;
    runny nose; or
    skin rash.

:perv:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2014, 10:12:11 AM

But that's not the point. It is more about triggering awareness and then people will go and read up about the product. Of course for drugs, I think print ads make more sense than commercials which are generally so vague that it isn't always clear what the medications are actually for.

The issue though is that it still seems odd to make the pitch to potential patients, given that these are medicines that can only be obtained with a doctor's prescription.

It makes sense for drugs which are, in a sense, "voluntary", like travel vaccines, birth control pills, or high-altitude medications - as the patient may not even be aware of what is available to ask their doc.

But medicines for diabetes? Isn't the doc best placed to decide for the patient?

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 28, 2014, 10:18:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 28, 2014, 10:12:11 AM

The issue though is that it still seems odd to make the pitch to potential patients, given that these are medicines that can only be obtained with a doctor's prescription.

It makes sense for drugs which are, in a sense, "voluntary", like travel vaccines, birth control pills, or high-altitude medications - as the patient may not even be aware of what is available to ask their doc.

But medicines for diabetes? Isn't the doc best placed to decide for the patient?

Yeah, I don't really understand that notion that the doctor always knows best. I've actually been a patient who had a doctor try me on several medications that didn't work before I suggested something that did work.

I think I said it before, but it was rather heartbreaking in Europe where we would hear patients that never questioned anything that their physicians would do, wanted forms of drug administration that exist but their physician never told them, were kept on medications that were clearly not helping the patients out, patients had concerns about their medications but wouldn't question their doctors as that would be disrespectful.  That was much less common in the US where patients were more widely aware of all their options.

Notion with the ads is to get patients more involved in their treatment - which could also have benefit for pharma of getting patients on their newer more expensive drugs.

In fact, most common metrics for ad testing that I see are: Would this ad cause you to look up more information about this product and How likely would you be to ask your doctor about whether this product is right for you?

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2014, 10:04:25 AM

I discovered the answer to this.  :cry:

(not really  :P)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on October 28, 2014, 10:31:51 AM

WHY DOESNT IT STOP

Ed Anger

That is a normal Saturday night for me
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive