And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on September 30, 2014, 01:32:02 PM

Is this restricted to those crafts you can make with hair taken from a live cat?  :hmm:
Doing it with a dead cat would just be creepy. :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Those diggers really need to pick up their pace.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

The Danish debate about the Swedish decision to censor Pippi Longstocking's use of the title Negro King for her father is hilarious.

"They may remove the word Negro, but it doesn't change that her father is a king of the Negroes, and thus a Negro King. And a Negro King is a Negro King is a Negro King."
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on September 30, 2014, 05:56:22 PM
The Danish debate about the Swedish decision to censor Pippi Longstocking's use of the title Negro King for her father is hilarious.

"They may remove the word Negro, but it doesn't change that her father is a king of the Negroes, and thus a Negro King. And a Negro King is a Negro King is a Negro King."

Is the debate being led by Gertrude Stein?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

Quote from: Savonarola on September 30, 2014, 05:58:46 PM

No, but that quote was from an author. An author who really liked saying Negro, I think she got pass the 20+ mentions mark.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on September 30, 2014, 06:02:50 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 30, 2014, 05:58:46 PM

No, but that quote was from an author.

Hey!  Gertrude Stein was an author.   :mad:

Just not a very good one.   

;)

QuoteAn author who really liked saying Negro, I think she got pass the 20+ mentions mark.

Gertrude Stein wrote a poem called "Sacred Emily" which begins "Rose is a rose is a rose."  It's often misquoted as "A rose is a rose is a rose."  I think your Danish author was trying to allude to that.

Is "Negro" an offensive term in Swedish?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

For the last few years, Austria has had a unified curriculum for the final school exams. This curriculum is now getting reformed.

There's a bit of an outcry about the changes for the subject of German. In the past it was a mix of grammar, literature and "functional texts" (newspaper articles, manuals, advertising texts etc.).

Literature has now been excised from the curriculum. Teachers can still teach literature in class, but this is expected to decrease a lot in order to prepare for the final exams.

It feels weird, because during my school time in Germany (which is twenty years ago, granted), the last two years was almost exclusively spent on literature, and we covered over a dozen different works between Aeschylus and Günter Grass.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on October 01, 2014, 12:42:49 AM
For the last few years, Austria has had a unified curriculum for the final school exams. This curriculum is now getting reformed.

There's a bit of an outcry about the changes for the subject of German. In the past it was a mix of grammar, literature and "functional texts" (newspaper articles, manuals, advertising texts etc.).

Literature has now been excised from the curriculum. Teachers can still teach literature in class, but this is expected to decrease a lot in order to prepare for the final exams.

It feels weird, because during my school time in Germany (which is twenty years ago, granted), the last two years was almost exclusively spent on literature, and we covered over a dozen different works between Aeschylus and Günter Grass.

Sounds good to me.  They should also teach how to read and manipulate spreadsheets, databases, and advanced text editors.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on October 01, 2014, 12:42:49 AM
Literature has now been excised from the curriculum.

What is it being replaced with?