The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Everyone knows freelancers are not human and thus have no rights. :yes:

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on June 08, 2014, 05:33:45 PM
That must be an awfully big basket you have in your bike. :lol:

On the original point, the truth is my friend is not out of a job becuase someone else is working too much. The truth is he's not qualified to do what I do. He has no job because of the way he has handled his career. And he knows it. During the good old days he kept jumping ship (and role) as soon as someone offered him a better salary. His CV speaks of someone without a defined profile who won't stick around for long. So now he's in long-term unemployment despite his engineering degree.

Too bad employers can't be held to the same standard. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on June 08, 2014, 06:10:21 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 08, 2014, 05:33:45 PM
That must be an awfully big basket you have in your bike. :lol:

On the original point, the truth is my friend is not out of a job becuase someone else is working too much. The truth is he's not qualified to do what I do. He has no job because of the way he has handled his career. And he knows it. During the good old days he kept jumping ship (and role) as soon as someone offered him a better salary. His CV speaks of someone without a defined profile who won't stick around for long. So now he's in long-term unemployment despite his engineering degree.

Too bad employers can't be held to the same standard. :(
i know places people won't work at because of the insane turn over. Don't know if it's common practice but I was told to ask about what happened to the person who was in the position I'm applying for.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

They can sometimes Ide. The only reason I'm being promoted so fast (barely weeks after starting) is they have mismanaged employees so badly they've lost three key people in the last year and they have to fill the gaps.

Ideologue

They can if your skills aren't entirely fungible, sure.  That's great shakes for 5-15% of the workforce.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I wish I was fungible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Here's one sbr can spooge to.  SHORTEST REVOLUTION EVAH

QuoteTwo Cops, Three Others Killed in Las Vegas Shooting Spree

An apparent ambush in a Las Vegas pizzeria that carried over to a nearby Walmart left five people dead on Sunday, including two police officers and a pair of shooters.

The two cops were shot by a male and female as they were eating lunch at Cici's Pizza at about 11:30 a.m. local time (2:30 p.m. ET), Las Vegas Metro Police spokesman Larry Hadfield told NBC News.

Witnesses told police that one of the shooters yelled "This is the start of a revolution" before firing at patrolmen, who were identified as Officer Alyn Beck, 42, and Officer Igor Soldo, 32.

Officials said one of the cops was able to fire back at the duo before succumbing to his injuries.

The suspects then stripped the officers of their weapons and ammunition and went across the street to a Walmart, where they shot and killed another person,
Hadfield said.

Deputy Sheriff Kevin McMahill reported that one of the shooters, described as a tall white man, yelled "everyone get out" before unleashing a hail of bullets.

The shooters then apparently killed themselves at the Walmart, in what officials described as "some kind of suicide pact."

Police said the female suspect first shot the man, then herself.

In a statement, Walmart said the store was closed and they were working with local police.

"We express our deepest condolences to everyone who has been affected by this senseless act of violence," said spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan.

Cici's Pizza also put out a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by this tragic event and our hearts go out to the families and friends of the officers." They said the store would remained closed until further notice.

Quotefemale suspect first shot the man, then herself.
Great plan.  I wonder if he was in on it.

sbr

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on June 08, 2014, 05:45:14 PM
Everyone knows freelancers are not human and thus have no rights. :yes:
A freelancer is just a middle class unemployed person
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

I think the qualifier "middle class" is inapt, but you're British, and you people use the term incorrectly all the time.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on June 08, 2014, 09:18:08 PM
I think the qualifier "middle class" is inapt, but you're British, and you people use the term incorrectly all the time.

It'd be odd to mention freelancers as part of the lower class, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Lots of contract workers in the lower class.
Kinemalogue

garbon

I don't know I'd use the word "freelancer."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on June 08, 2014, 06:37:30 PM
They can if your skills aren't entirely fungible, sure.  That's great shakes for 5-15% of the workforce.

I think you are using the word fungible wrong. Your average heart surgeon's skills are fungible, for instance. Gold and oil are two examples of fungible commodities.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

OK, perhaps I should say "trivially fungible."  If you sell your stock of gold, you can replace it instantly if the price remains the same or falls (as with stocks, oil, blue widgets, etc.)

Finding a trained, proven robot apocalypse engineer like Iorm is difficult.  You get rid of him, and you won't be able to instantly purchase another.

Fwiw, that's probably the case with surgeons too.
Kinemalogue